Advice on Crape Myrtles

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawn dogg, Oct 12, 2007.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

lawn dogg
    Iplanted 15 tonto crape myrtles at a retirement complex 2 weeks ago leaves starting to turn yellow and fall off can anyone help.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Were they B&B or containers?

B&B, most likely dug recently to fill your order...this time of year, not uncommon to go through shock. Keep them watered and don't worry, they'll come back.

3. lawn dogg

they were containers

4. lawn dogg

Also planted at same time were nandina and needle point holly they look fine ,usually have no problems with myrtles.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

How well were they watered? I still would not be concerned. I planted some Crape's last year that did the same thing in say September?? Came in strong this year.

I'm planting 4" Maples next week. They will most likely lose their leaves and bounce back next year. Same with Cherries.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I had the same thing happen to some bnb crapes I planted last week. I think tthomas is right... just shock.

7. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

transplant shock....dont worry they'll come back

8. tthomass

from N. VA

Do still water a little. I actually had this happen to some container River Birch a couple years ago.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

did you have them covered on the journey to the site?

10. lawn dogg

They were in deed covered in a van ,Ithink everyone is probabaly right on them being in shock. Thanks for the encouragement.