1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on cutting with mulch kit.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by topcat2006, Feb 18, 2007.

1. topcat2006

topcat2006 LawnSite Member

I am new to the business. When cutting with the mulch kit installed on my ZTR, I know to never remove more than 1/3 of the grass at a time. If the grass has not been cut because of rain or other factors, do I make multiple passes removing 1/3 each time or what do I need to do?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a muclh kit on one of our 48 hydro WB units. Hate to say this but sometimes we can't use it, especially in the spring, cause its woo wet/heavy for the wower (17kawi) to keep up with it. We've made two passes in the past but it just doesn't look that that good. In addition, we would be going about half the spead of the other WB (identical mower but set up for side discharge). The other thing I don't like about the mulcher in heavy wet grass is when I turn on driveways...now normally I don't do this but when its wet and you are on a hillside and don't want to tear the turf we do...anyway it leaves a mulched mess on the driveway/sidewalk that is almost impossible to get off until the next rainstorm.

So, my answer is I use the side discharge/bagger.

If that is not a option for you then yes I would make multiple passes with lowering the deck each time. Also, if the conditions are really bad you may want to think about cleaning underneath your deck after every cut every hour or something like that.
  3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you'd take 1/3 per visit, like next weeks cut, not in several passes.
  4. topcat2006

So, If the grass is wet from say three days of rain, then mulching is not really a great ideal? My reason for mulching was for the overall health of the lawn, but if side discharge with a blocker plate for working around cars and beds would be a better option, please give me feedback. Thanks for the responses.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You're going to get people on either side of the fence. Personally, I'd love to mulch all the time but the conditions have to warrant it...dry, not to thick, not to high, etc. IMHO mulching doesn't make a lawn look manicured in adverse conditions...which less face it sometimes you HAVE to cut in those conditions.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

some areas you cannot mulch. i depends on where you are and what type of grass it is. in New England its a joke to think about it unless your going to cut at least 2x a month. i simply woundnt offer it. i dont offer bagging. the time you spend stoppign and unloading isnt worth the extra money you make, not to mention its more of an investment, and more room on your trailer
  7. topcat2006

Here in Memphis,Tn. well at least with the 13 properties that I have,bermuda is the main grass that I have seen, with some yards having a shade grass I think the name is centipede grass. It is a slow growing grass that doesn't really get thick.