1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on delettering a truck and trailer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, Nov 18, 2002.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I just spend an hour or so removing the vinyl lettering from one door of my pick-up....what a nightmare!~ I was using a heat gun and a single edge razor, then some glue remover. I'm wondering if any of you have some better ideas?? I have an 8x20 trailer that has a lot of lettering, so I would like to find an easier way.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

just curious why are you taking it off? best ive used is goo be gone
  3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Bodyshops use a rotary tool with a rubber wheel. The wheel spins and "erases" the decals.

If you have a die grinder, or maybe an air drill, it might work.

You could probably get the wheels and arbor at an automotive paint jobber store.

Heat gun and adhesive remover is the next best thing.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A guy I know who does vinyl lettering told me to use easy off over cleaner......(I would test a small section first.)
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Go down to your local wrench headshop on the corner and look for a product called TARGON(sp). This product is designed to remove tar and similar sticky materials from paintjobs.

I have used it on sleds and other vehicles to remove decals and other items. Should solve your problem.
  6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Thanks for the advice everyone. Scottie, I'm going to be selling both the truck and trailer, so I want to take the lettering off for that reason.
  7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Depending on length of time they have been there. A high pressure washer at an angle removes most quite handily. Sure did on my trailer. And hey! it left it clean too!

Al B
  8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We've always used a heat gun. Apply the heat until the decals turn brown or black. Scrap off and then use either WD-40 or iso???? alcohol, which we help disolve the glue.