1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on expanding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, May 12, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I have been mowing yards for the last 4 years, and now for the last 2 and a half years we have maintained on average 15-18 yards. We're looking to expand because we have more time now due to the fact that I just had reconstructive knee surgery and I won't be playing football anymore. We'd like to get more customers in one of the ritzy areas that we mow right now. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

The best advertising Ive ever had come from word of mouth. Just do a real good job always & let your presence be known. Hand out business cards in person to who ever sees your work & offer your services to them.
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Advertise in the coupons that get mailed to your homes in your area. Did that last year ( cost me about $250.00 ) and landed 10 accounts directly from the mailings, and about 3 or 4 more from those customers. There are two major coupon companies that I know of, I don't know if there is more but try one of these.

Super Coupons ( they have a website I think is Supercoups.com )

ValuePack ( also have a website not sure on web address )

Good Luck !
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to the school of bobby geld now. Last week in class we learned that one way to expand is to sleep with your customers and have them tell their friends you are looking for more customers. The best part is the better the job you do the more customers you get. Next week we are learning about taking out the competition (literally) Sleeping with your competitor's wives 101. If you break them up you might even end up with half of his equipment. Failing that I would tell my current customers that I am looking for more work and put together a referral deal with them.
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Who's Bobby Geld ? I have heard of Bobby Gedd, but not Bobby Geld !:D
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

darn, I didn't say I was in the top of the class.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

This is ridiculous....
  8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

are those yards on a ,
    1 week,
    10 day,
    or 2 week cycle?
    and what kind of truck do you have?