Advice on grass type.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a large area that needs to be seeded. It is on a hill in full sun all day and can't be watered. I was toled by the place were i get most my stuff that a field fesgue would work. Is this true? it does not matter how it looks that much it just needs something to grow to keep the dirt from washing away. Got any ideas?

2. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Can you say Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda??!! Fescue will never make it.

3. Eric 1

Kinda what i thought But judging from you screen name i think you may be bias?

4. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Yes, I guess I'm a little prejudice towards the stuff.

5. Eric 1

More replies please

6. Eric 1

Any more ideas. Or is it Bermuda?

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

How about RTF. Rhizomatous Tall Fescue. Requires almost no water and developes DEEP roots. @ 2' I'm told.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the right idea. I don't much about this Rhizomatous type of cultivar, as I am not accustomed to warm season grasses. However, here in the north, we have what is called Turf Type Tall Fescue, and this has the benefits that are described. It grows very deep roots, so it is very drought tolerant, and stays green even through the hot months. The only con to this cultivar is that has a bunch type growth habit, rather than a prostate, which is rhizomatous or stoloniferous. Therefore, it doesn't spread out and thicken as much as other type cultivars.

9. Eric 1

Yeah i have tall fescue here. And i will look into the RTF to. Thanks.