Advice on John Deere blowers, trimmers, etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrook, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Westbrook

Westbrook LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of you could give me some information on any John Deere back pack blowers or string trimmers. How do they stack up to the competition? Do they hold up? I know I don't see all that many of them around here, so I don't know too much about them. Thanks for your help.

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend in the business had John Deere brand trimmers and blowers. The dealer gave him a "package" deal, when he purchased a JD HD-45 walk about 4 years ago. They looked to me, identical to Homelite.....just different paint.That was then, I don't know about now....
    He has since replaced those with blowers by Shindaiwa. Trimmers by Stihl.

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed some Deere trimmers a couple years ago and things may have changed since. I found they were not competively priced and the performed pretty well except that the air filter covered half the gas tank opening, and made it a little difficult to fill.

4. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

i have a john deere bp-50 and two deere string trimmer i love them a lot. but john deere has never really made there own blower or trimmer. :cool:

5. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

The blowers are kawisaki or however u spell it, and the strimmers are ,I believe a shindiawa. I have a husquvarna blower and they are the exact same. They both have the kawesaki decal and some mold, but different paint. The trimmers are made by shindiawa or another Japenese made trimmer.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed some Deere trimmers a couple years ago and things may have changed since. I found they were not competively priced and the performed pretty well except that the air filter covered half the gas tank opening, and made it a little difficult to fill.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I only run JD trimmers and blowers etc. I had one Stiel (Spelling?) and its advance plugged all the time. I have great luck with JD - they start easy, and last and last.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think the engines on the JD trimmers are made by Mitsubishi.

9. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

I had a Deere trimmer once from a package deal like mentioned above and it was very nice! Good power and lightwieght.

10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

We have 14 XT-140's, good trimmer, start well and last long time. The guys and girls who run these ones run them 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week. They do nothing but trim a huge commercial project we have. Our foreman drops them off in a spot in the morning and they walk through the site during the day doing the trimming. I think we have given these trimmers a work out.