1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on kawasaki motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gordons Landscape, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

I have had a wright stander with a Kawasaki 17 hp v twin motor for 4 years. It has 950 hours on it. I take good care of it (most of the time LOL) Oil changes etc. The engine seems to run good. But one of my friends in the buisness said it was on its last leg (because of the hours).

My question is should I get another engine for next year. Or should I just leave this one in. Or should I rebuild it.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

By all means, if it's running good, rebuild it.

Let it die THEN rebuild or replace it. You'll know when it's on it's last leg.
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: dan ist of all i have a lazer with a 17 hp kawi that has 1800 hrs and still runs very strong, 950 hours is not alot really. they say the realistic life of an engine is about 100 hours for every horsepower, so reconsider the replacement at around 1700 hours. just keep up on the maintence and you better than the rated life expectency. i have s 22 hp kohler on a dixie chopper with 3200 hours and still runs very strong no oil burn or smoke. good luck tony
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Nest. Would you go buy a new truck because someone told you your current truck was on its last leg?Probably not, so if it's running good, run it til it coughs, gives up and dies.That might be hard to do to a Kawi, though.I have one with over 1500 hours, and still starts easily and reliably.Good luck:D
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I rebuilt my Kawasaki 14 hp single cylinder at 2300 hours. The engine was still running well at that point, but it started to lose power when cutting heavy wet grass. Your 17 should last as long if not longer if you keep the oil changed and keep the air filter clean. I don't think yours is finished just yet unless it was neglected or abused. Run it until it lacks enough power to do the job. JMO.
  6. schmidtmeister

schmidtmeister LawnSite Member

I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. I DO believe in regular and preventative maintainence though. If the mower is paid for, you're making profit off it...no need to add expenses...like everyone else has suggested, change the oil, keep that air filter clean, check the belts, tighten the loose bolts, give it a bath or a paint job if you're so inclined. They way your equipment runs and LOOKS is a reflection on YOU!
  7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We have a Lesco WB with a 17 Kaw, this engine is almost 10 yrs old and has never been rebuilt.The hour meter is broke so I dont know the time on it. It is now starting to lose blade speed.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

holy cow i just traded a walkbehind that had 17 horse kawi on it and it had 2300 hrs on it heck 950 hrs just getting good and broke in lol there is noway i would get a new motor now till the other one takes a crap . The only reason i traded it was i stepped up to a tiger
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Many times the blade speed loss is due to throttle cable stretch. Most guys probably don't check this. That is why I put tiny tachs on all mowers. I know when the cable is stretched and can tighten it back up. That is one of those things we haven't talked much about on here in several years.
  10. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!