1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Large Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Limeade, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Hello, this is my first post, just want to say hi, and also ask a question. I plan on doing mostly residential, but also some bigger lots, maybe churches and such with bigger lotts. My question is, I will be the only person doing this, yup just me, so I can't exhaust myself after so many hours of work. So I thought of a riding mower, but then I thought, "well for residential, I will need a 0 point, because you can't use a regular Tractor mower on regular front yards..." Is this true? I don't like the idea of useing a self propelled walk behind the whole time, and I can't afford a commercial walk behind, or 0 point, should I purchase a regular tractor mower? Or would it be a waste??? Sorry about the sloppy write up, I'm out the door and doing this fast.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You might want to start with a home owner zero TURN mower. But if thats not in the cards now, you can look at rear engine riders. The rear engine is alot more maneuverable than the tractor. gravely,snapper make good ones.

3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

My son started with a 48" Exmark walk behind and handled 15 accounts. Perhaps this might be a way to go. Also, he ended picking up a used ride on sulky. This helped his efficiency.
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a 1434 Ariens Mini Zoom which seems to be a pretty fair quality machine. It is more of a residential machine but it is quite heavily
    made and appears to be easy to service. Our dealer had it listed for $2299.
  5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to look into buying a used commercial walk for cheap to start out
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you should be able to find a 5 to 7-year old Wb (like the below 48") for around 1000 dollars with velke and bagger.
    I bought the below 1998 Toro proline when it was 5 years old for 1000 (bagger not shown). It has cut many yards in the last 2 years and is still in service. It looks rough but don't let that fool you, she'll outrun, outperform, AND outlast ANY homeowner's mower any day, even the newest riders:

That is one tough mower, even thou the wear and tear on the machine is starting to show in the way of deck cracks, she'll still jump a 1-foot curb without a clatter. Now her productivity is maxed out at 8 lawns/day whereas my new Wb can do 10, as an example. Those are standard figures, record production for the '98 is 11 yards, my new '05 recorded 12.
    So you lose 20% in productivity but consider 1000 dollars vs. 3000, and in your first year you'll likely be glad if you have 5 yards/day need cutting :)
    The only thing depresses me about the older wb's, they just don't do wheelies, spin tires and slide in the turns as nicely as the new ones.

Far as where to find them, local to you would be best but ebay sells them all the time as well.