1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on leakdown tester

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Travis Followell, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I went to the dealer to order a new leakdown tester and I was suprised when I found out that one from Kohler is $150 and one from briggs is about $170. I went to another dealer and he had a brand new Kohler tester that he just got in and he said he would let me have it for $100. He also had one from Stihl that was about 3 years old and he said he would let me have it for $40.

So what i'm asking is should I get the new one or the used one. He said Stihl would test 2 and 4 cycle engines but the Kohler would only test a 4 cycle.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Whats the difference between a new and used one aside from the obvious? What can break in one...I would go with the 40 dollar one...tests 2 and 4 strokes and is cheaper.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you plan on using it alot, I would buy the used one if it's in good condition just in case you need to test a 2 cycle unit.
    I have also seen them new for around 75.00, I believe I seen one here for less than that. www.jcw.com

4. Restrorob

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'll probibly go with a new one from Harbor Freight. Thanks restorob.

6. Restrorob

Not a problem, Happy testing
    Take Care

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

8. andy35321

andy35321 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Posted via Mobile Device

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

You might wanna re-think that unit from HF. Lotta people not happy with it-inaccurate, etc.
    This unit from OTC is one i've had for a while now, works great, and has a 10mm adapter for two strokes. I think/know I paid more than what this place sells 'em for, though!
    http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-...utm_term=OTC5609&utm_campaign=pricegrabber_r1

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

That guy left out the orifice that controls the airflow! His unit will prolly work, but..................
    GOOGLE it and you'll come up with some better home made units!