Advice on mid-size walk behind mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 27, 2006.

1. jumpinjarhead

jumpinjarhead LawnSite Member

Wth apologies to those of you who have been on this site for a while if this has been asked already, I need recommendations for a 36" walk-behind for lawns and heavier grass (I live in a rural area and some jobs involve rough areas of fescue/weeds as well as more normal bermuda lawns). Price is of course important.
  2. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

I like my 36" toro pro line. Mine is belt drive with a T-bar. Hydro would be nice, but there is quite a jump in price from belt drive to hydro. You might also check some of exmark's stuff. Also, in my opinion the floating deck is worth the extra money.
  3. jumpinjarhead

Thanks for the quick response.
  4. jumpinjarhead

Have you heard of this mower from Better OUtdoor Eqpt Co?
  5. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

Yep. I havent used one. However, it gets a lot of good reviews on here.
  6. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Snapper Pro 36 hydro walk behind. It does a great job, but is a little on the expensive side. I use it as a mulch machine mostly, but it bags nicely and I have used it as a side discharge in heavy yards.

Good luck,
  7. jbjb

jbjb LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I think Snapper Pro 36 is identical to the Ferris Hydrocut 36. Does it mulch real nice? They claim it does, but my other option is a Quick 36. Thoughts?
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a snapper 36 hydro on the trailer for maybe 5 years now, nice machine with no complaints. It doesn't get the use the 48's get, so I've never really had any service issues. Nice cut.
  9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You may also want to take a look at Wright Standers. Its not a walk behind but it seems to be quite a mower. Faster and more productive than a walk-behind. I have a Toro 36 wb with sulky...its been great, but when its time to replace it, I will most likely go with the Wright.