1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Minimum Charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amlncr, Apr 4, 2001.

1. amlncr

amlncr LawnSite Member

I have read the questions/answers previously posted on "minimum charges" and need some more advice. What does your minimum charge include? Edging & trimming? Or are Edging and trimming an extra charge. Should I stay at $25 dollars for straight, no extras, grass mowing? Thank you in advance.
  2. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

My minimum is $25 to cut, trim, and blow. Even if they did not want me to trim or blow the property, I would not alter my price. You must have an absolute bottom, so customers will not try to talk you into lowering your price.
  3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I do not have a preset limit cause I have to many customers that I started out mowing there lawn then there neighbor dicided that she did not like running her electric trimmer any more but still enjoyed mowing her yard so for 10 min worth of trimming I get 10 bucks I figure a buck a minute is good money for a weedeater and her lawn is attached to one I mow.....

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

35 for chemical, 45 on mowing, 45 for bed work, leaves, 200 on construction/install. Dave g
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I offer a 25 mow and go for those who want to trim and the rest themself. This gets them 20 min including ld an unld time.no talk no nothin just stop an go.Im going to see how this works.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to leave it untrimmed or cleaned up. The neighbors that could be potential clients will not know the person is a cheapskate and wouldn't pay for that service. It would be a reflection on me without any control. Edge and trim are always done on my stops.
  7. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I have a $30 minimum just to drop the gate and then charge $0.50/min for mowing. Average lawn is around $37.50-$45.00. That does include trim and blow.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with NoDownTime and 65Hoss on this. If you skip the trimming and finish work, it will reflect on your service.
  9. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

“The neighbors that could be potential clients will not know the person is a cheapskate and wouldn't pay for that service. It would be a reflection on me without any control.”

I agree that in a situation with houses next to each other as in a sub-division it would absolutely be minimum to mow, edge, trim, and blow as you said it would reflect on the “lawn guy”

Possible scenario would be: Customer “ I forgot to trim last week can you do it for me” (and when it is 110F outside they get more forgetful with every degree the temp goes up) the neighbor will see this as you did not finish your job last week which will make you look absent minded.

#2 In order to save face the customer might say “oh the lawn guy forgot to trim last week” to keep the neighbors from knowing they are tightwad #$!*ichs.

All situations do not work in your favor and could cost your company good paying customer that want full service.

People that want ½ a$$ service are just that type customer, ½ a$$ with no regard to reputation as rock bottom price is king.

I say cover it because it is the only on you have. (_ _)
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

my lowest price is $20 but those yards only take 10 mins so it works out great, for you guys that charge $30 mim. how big is the lawn?????

this quaestion should of said what is the mim. and the size of these yards???