Advice on mower, blower & trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Berserker, May 23, 2006.

1. Berserker

Berserker LawnSite Member

I have decided to start doing my own lawn maintenance since I have been unhappy with the service that I have been getting (@ $250 per month :nono: ).

I was originally considering a lawn tractor by either Cub Cadet or John Deere but it seems at 1/2 acre people are recommending a walk behind mower. (Bummer, thought I was getting a new toy :rolleyes: )

So I have done a little bit of research and went to a couple of local stores and here's what has made the short list:

Honda HRX217HXA 699.00
    Echo edger SRM-231 269.00
    Echo backback blower PB-403 299.00

Are these good pieces of equipment? Am I missing something?

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't pay attention to them! Buy the toy.
  3. hondo345

hondo345 LawnSite Member

what would you consider to be the best tractor to start out with
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

how large is your yard? how much landscaping? you may actually be able to get done faster with better results using a walk behind depending on the amount of turning, backing up, etc that you need to do. check out the quick 36, i've never heard anything bad about it.
  5. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Your choices are just fine. All of the equipment you listed will last a homeowner a very long time. Now, a couple of things for you to consider ..... Are you relatively young and healthy? I ask because even doing just 1/2 acre with a 21" mower can be a little bit of a chore, especially in the heat of summer. You may enjoy doing your own lawn for awhile, maybe a few months or a year but, if you don't make it as easy as possible on yourself now you may be back to paying a pro in the near future. You just may want to consider getting yourself a small rider. Nothing as expensive as a commercial grade ZTR or big lawn tractor. Snapper and Deere both make small riders with 32" and 36" decks that are pretty good little units.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Larry! 1/2 acre with a 21" will get old real quick! I would look for a used 36" or 48" belt drive unit in the $800 - $1500 range.
  7. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Simplicity all the way. They can be a bit pricey, but they give an excellent cut, and they have all sorts of different models, with different features, one of which should be right for your budget.

Apparently, the Boston Red Sox agree. From an online article by David Mellor, head groundskeeper at the Fen:
    I think that pretty much sums it up. :cool2:
  8. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Agreed...but for a few dollars more, depending on your terrain, something like this might serve you even better. Ferris has their own version as well.

I've got about 1/2 acre myself, and even though I'm in very good shape, cutting the grass with a 21" just wasn't any fun. Now I've got a Simplicity Regent AND a Ferris HydroWalk SD, both of which have been very good machines.:drinkup:
  9. Berserker

Berserker LawnSite Member

Actually I have less than 1/2 acre of grass. Probably just a hare under 1/3 though the total amount of land that will need care is 1/2 acre. Tha includes planters, iceplant, etc.

I think that I may go with the talk behind Honda and if needed I will still consider a small ride mower.

10. Deere_Daze

Deere_Daze LawnSite Member

For the mower Id go with a John Deere JX 75. Nothing against the Honda, but the Deere has a Kawi engine with a pressurized oiling system and aluminum deck. You can mow on an incline all day long and you wont starve the engine for oil. You cant say the same about the Honda.
    As for the trimmer and blower, you cant go wrong with a Stihl.