Advice on mower for trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fred Garvin, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin LawnSite Member

I'm shopping for a new self propelled mower for trimming. The choices are few in my area. So far what I have found that fits the bill is a high wheel Toro at Lowes. I only have three yard that require trimming with the push/propelled mower. Still the amount of plastic scares me on this mower. I looked at a Gravely and if felt extremely heavy. This turned me off because I have to take the mower down a set of stairs at one yard I mow.

Any advice?
  2. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

That Gravely is heavier for a reason. It is built to stand up to mowing a lot and what some of us put our mowers through. I had a personal pace toro for my house a few years ago and it was awful. There was always something wrong witht the mower and I take very good care of my equipment. I do really like toro products, but the mowers they have at Lowe's aren't very good. I personally really like the Honda push mowers. I have had one for two summers and have put countless hours on it and use it pretty hard at times. Have never pulled more than once to start this day and it is a smooth running mower and pretty quiet. Cut quality is some of the best I have seen. I would highly reccomend a Honda over that Toro. Also, go look at Snappers. I have one also and it has held up pretty well for me and good cut quality.

Toro makes great products, but stay away from the Toro's at Lowes. Spend $450 to $500 on an entry level residential Honda and it wil be more than enough for what you mow and will last for years.
  3. Fred Garvin

The one I looked at had a Honda motor. Were your problems with the motor or the rest of the mower?

The Gravelys I looked at are also homeowners models I believe. (plastic wheels)
  4. mjealey

I had a ot of problems with the personal pace drive system. The cables got stretched out so I had to replace them so it would actually engage. Also had problems with the actual transmission. Also had a problem with the motor. C~an't remember exactly what happened, but there was a problem with one of the valves in the motor, and it would barely run. Was covered under warranty, and had it fixed. (Took forever though) I believe it had a 6hp briggs on it. Motor really bogged down a lot even when it was running good. Not very much torque to it. My Honda with the GCV160 motor is only 5.5 HP and will run circles aroung the 6 HP Briggs. The Hondas have a lot of torque for the size of motor they are.

Another piece of advice: DON"T BUY FROM YOUR BIG RETAIL STORE!!! They rarely never honor the warrenty and takes forever to get something fixed! Do it right the first time and go to an independent dealer to purchase equipment. A lot easier to get service done to your mower. If you keep going back to them a lot of them will cut you some deals down the road because you keep going back. Just my opinions and experiences.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If your looking for a decent Toro, I'd go to a dealer. The super Recycler push mower model 20090 is a good one. Cast alluminum deck for a 5 year warranty. Its not over heavy but it has some weight to it. I think it runs in low mid to high $300's.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice per above, do your shopping at a dealer and develop rapport....

Look into the Super Recycler from Toro, cast aluminum deck, high end residential without the over-cost of the commercial models. Around $500.
  7. mjealey

I totally agree with what was said above. Toro has a good name and they do make really good products. Go to a Toro dealer and look what they have. Honestly, sometimes dealers might have some 07 models that they are trying to get rid of and can pick them up for a little less and comparable to what you would pay at Home Depot or Lowe's. For what you are trying to do I would also to see if there is a Snapper dealer around your area. They have a really good name, been around forever and make some really good push mowers. I just bought a Snapper s150x ztr last week with a 21 HP Kawasaki and 48" cut and absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to ever by a Snapper!!!
  8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

for the amount i need one i got a 22" husqvarna at TSC and it has been fine. cost either $200 or $300
  9. Fred Garvin

I started out at the Grasshopper dealer where I have bought all my equipment. Get this, they don't sell push mowers. Then went to a local farm store that sells Husqvarna. They were out until next year. Then went to the guy that sells Gravely. There is one other place that might sell Toro, but the guy is the biggest jerk in town.