1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

advice on my mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, Jan 7, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I am looking at an exmark turf tracer. 48, 52 or 60 inch. Hydro most likely. My question is this. How many use a floating deck on a walk behind? What are your thoughts? Is a floating deck that much better than a fixed? Is it worth the extra coin? Thanks for the input. -MF

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the extra.. not that much more... but is much easier...

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't run walkbehinds now but did a few years ago. There are 2 things that I like about floating decks. First is height adjustment. Is much easier on a floating deck. Also found that you will get less scalping.

4. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

I have used both and fixed deck walkbehinds suck and scalp. i have a turf tracer hp 48 and i love it. I have used scag and did not like it.

5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

For me, floating deck is a absolute must, because I'm constantly changing height. They also definately scalp less.

The only andvantages I can think of with the fixed deck is that it is slightly lighter and slightly shorter overall.

Well worth the extra money.