1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on new purchase of z mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlk, Apr 4, 2002.

1. dlk

dlk LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have spent time looking over your forum and think it is full of very useful information. Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me on the following. I have 11 acers which I keep mowed. Fairly flat, landscape to cut around along with a fair number of trees, pond etc. I currently use a tractor with a 6ft. woods finish mower along with a lawn tractor to cut around the trees and landscape. Both do very nice job, however, it takes me a total of about 8hrs. to cut everything with current setup (I usually tackel it in stages throughout the week). I am looking at the Gravely 260 z with Kaw 25hp. $7500. Dealer tells me I should be able to cut my mowing time in half. Sorry for the long intro..... my questions are
    1. Your thoughts on the Gravely vs Scag? (I have a good dealer close by for each) Or Exmark (dealer fairly close but dont know them)
    2. Will I cut my mowing time down to 4 hrs. or so with a z?
    3. Drawbacks to z mowers? Or.
    4. Should I just stick with my current setup. If I go for the Z I would sell my woods and cub for about $2k to help with the cost of the Z.
    Thank you for your reply. DLK
  2. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

I have a scag cub 48'' and it mowes fast love it on hill or flat. It just cuts time and grass. good luck:D
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about Gravely or Scag, but I run eXmark's. With a 60" ZTR you should be able to cut 11 acres in less that 2 hours. With a 48" deck it'll take about 3 hours to cut. These times vary depending on how level the terrain is. Trees and such shouldn't add much to mowing time. Trimming around them is what adds time. When you purchased a ZTR, invest in a good commercial trimmer and this should save you a little time on trimming.

Good Luck,

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you do a search, I think you'll find the vast majority of the members give positive testimony to Exmark, as they are the most widely owned and sold machines there are anymore. You really just can't go wrong. Scags are built tough, but there have been a few issues such as the hydro motors having troubles, service representation, and cut quality mentioned numerous times on here. Gravely, so far, while not being a real BIG seller, has done pretty well so far. Wellbuilt, and deliver a good cut and performance. As far as your cutting time goes, it would certainly cut your time down, because you still have the ground speeds for the wide open ares, and yet have the agility for the tight spots all wrapped up into one. Under two hours is DEFinitely pushing the envelope though!:blob4: I would think you're looking at closer to three hours. This is figuring at about 8 mph. average cutting speed with a 60" deck, and that is at 80% efficiency to allow for turning around and manuevering. 80% efficiency is little more representative of actual mowing conditions as it allows for turns and overlapping. Anyway, search and read away! You'll find alot of info in here on this!
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree, (once again) with Runner on the Exmark Lazer. I would like to see you not using the Woods mower on your lawn at all, and recommend a 72" Lazer. This will take care of everything for you!
    Now.... What powerplant for that 72" mower? You have 4 choices:

1) 26 hp EFI Kohler (good choice!) A tie for the most inexpensive with....
    2) 27 hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki (nice quite engine)
    3) 27 hp Liquid Cooled Daihatsu 3cyl Deisel
    4) 31 hp Liquid Cooled Daihatsu 3 cyl Gas

Any of these engines will do the job, just have to decide how much you want to spend.

Looks like anywhere between $9000 and $12,000 for the above engine choices.

There's a reason so many of us here prefer Exmark....Just take a good look at all the mowers you are considering, and compare them to Exmark.

Good Luck
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

11 acers in less than 2hrs? You would have to be mowing at 10mph without slowing down to mow just 10acers with a 60"deck figured at 80% efficiency. More like 4 acers per hr would be about right. Thats still alot of grass which makes the Zs a hard act to follow. The exmarks and Z-masters have about the best cut ive seen around here,but youll see 15scags to 1 of all other mowers on the market in southern In, Guess its just one of those where you live things....Marks Mowing Service
  7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Between scag and gravely I would choose scag. At 3 hours per cut and 28 cuts per year that is only 84 hours a year that mower will probably last you a lifetime. I have two scag mowers that have well over 1000 hours on them and both of them are still running strong. I have replaced a hydro on each of them ($300) but I run these mowers alot harder than you ever will need to. I think that hustler and exmark are better mowers for commercial cutting but under the circumstances if I was you I would stick with the dealer that you know.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark is an excellent company with a great desire for quaitiy. My choice would be easy.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i would suggest a hustler ,dixie or exmark.
    72 inch cut
    i think if i had that much ,id be putting one in the freezor
    and letting mama cow see her boy friend every yr.
  10. BGRANT

BGRANT LawnSite Member

I don't know anything about gravely.But I have owned lots of scags and now exmark.I do have to
    say that exmarks cut is alot better than scag.
    And when your in this buisness cut is everything.
    I will probably get jumped on by my fellow exmark turf buddies but oh well.For the home owner if you care about durability SCAG RULES.For that matter most of the dealers who deal both will second that.I will stick with exmark because the cut is awesome.And that is all my customers care about.

Grant's Lawn & Landscape
    Brian Grant.