Advice on new truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CoachLinz, Nov 5, 2003.

1. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I'm selling my 85 GMC 1/2 ton pickup that I have been using for the lawn biz and my 94 Jeep Cherokee that is my personal car and replacing them with one newer vehicle which will be both my daily driver and my lawn vehicle. I only mow part-time (10 lawns) and teach high school full-time. I have 2 kids, so extended or crew cab is a necessity.

I run everything out of the truck bed - no trailer because I have no where to park one and some of my lawns would be very difficult to get to with a trailer. Also, I do occasionally pick up mulch and landscaping jobs as well for extra $$$.

I'm looking at a 98 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab, dually, 5.7L V8, 65K miles for $15,900.

Is this going to be too much vehicle for daily driving? How bad will the gas mileage be? If it were a single rear wheel, I'd buy it in a heart-beat, but I'm not 100% with the dual rear wheels. What do you guys think? How would it be for regular driving? Any other suggestions?
  2. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I think any 3500 ( 1 ton ) truck is gonna be duall rear wheeled. Why a 1 ton? Man O man thats alot of truck. I have always said that too much power is just about right, but I have yet to find ANYTHING I could not tow or pull (within reason) with my 2500 3/4 ton. Even the 1/2 ton I used to have would do a right sizable amount of work.
  3. CoachLinz

Mainly because that's what I have found in my price range for a good truck. I need the bigger cab and most of the 1/2 tons come with a short bed when they are extended cab. I'm afraid I won't be able to haul enough mulch, etc at one time with a 1/2 ton short bed. I went looking for a 3/4 ton figuring I could just put up sides and load it up with 5 or 6 yards if needed, but I didn't find any locally yet. Then I found that 1 ton and it is a very nice truck. Just wondering if, like you said, it might be a bit much. I do almost no towing. Usually anything I do is in the truck bed.

How bad would it be to drive around on a daily basis?
  4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what you said on the short bed. When I bought my extended cab 3/4 ton I held out till I found one with a long bed. Cant be doin that short bed thing!:D
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I also use my truck for work and personal driving. I'm not big enough to have a fleet of cabovers just yet. I don't mind having the short bed because I do use a trailor. I wanted something fairly luxurious but a workhorse all in the same package.

david\'s truck.jpg
  6. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I had a 97 Chevy dually, but it was the 6.5 turbo diesel. Funny thing is, it got almost the same mileage with or wothout pulling. Seems like it got 15 hwy no load, and 12 hwy with a 30ft camper.

The biggest issue is parking. Il learned to back it into almost any parking space, but the other issue was other people hitting me. It was a crew cab (4 door) long bed, so it really stuck out. People backing out of spaces opposite me, tended to back into me.

Ford makes a 350 with single rear wheels, but don't know if that made them in that year range. That's a pretty good price.

IMO, I would try to find a 3/4 ton...but it would be hard to pass up a deal
  7. CoachLinz

I think a short bed is fine if it is a 3/4 or 1 ton, just not on a 1/2 ton.

But anyway, any other thoughts on the Chevy I described above. I'm going to go drive it this afternoon. I know it would be a great work truck, but how bad would it be driving it every day to my full-time job, around town, etc. I only commute 7 miles each way, but still....
  8. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I personally think that is a good deal. I almost got a ext cab dual diesel over the summer. (New day job fell thru) I think it is a bit under powered w/ the 350. That said you do not tow and a 454 would get you about 10 mpg on a good day. You are probably looking in the 12 - 15 mpg range w/ that truck. The 7 miles are probably not on I95 at highway speed.(but then again 24, the by pass, rt 1 all can get fast). The biggest thing you loss w/ a dual axle is total gross towing weight. A truck that long should not beat you up like a short box reg cab would. 350s are dirt cheap to work on / replace.

I am 6'5" w/ an S10, wife and two little heads. I have always wanted a crew dually. My 70 - 100 mile a day commute negates getting one!

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the price range you are looking in :confused: and does it have to be a chevy
  10. CoachLinz

Price range -
    Max $16K on the road. less is better. I can probably get this 3500 on the road under $15 when it's all said and done.

No, it doesn't have to be a Chevy.

You sound familiar with this area. I travel north on Rt. 1 until it turns into Rt. 22 and then left onto Rt 543. I teach and coach at C. Milton Wright High School