Advice on pricing for Weed Control and Hedge Trimming

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mes37fan, May 24, 2006.

1. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

I need some advice on what to charge someone to spray for weeds. I am in southwest Florida and also would like some input from area LCO'S. I am a new start-up and currently have 13 accounts for mainly mow, edge, trim and blow along with a couple hedge and palm tree jobs.

I had a lady call for an estimate request to spray her yard for weed control which is stone and common here in florida. I do not have measurements for the yard as of yet. I would say that is a an average size Florida yard.
    I have experience with using Round-Up when I owned a mini-farm. I used to purchase the two gallon Round-Up concentrate and water it down of course.

My question is how I should calculate what to charge for this service. I want to keep it simple, fair and make a little profit. I do not want to low ball. There seems to be alot of that going on around here.

I also would like to ask for a price range per hour on hedge trimming that is not low balling. Right now I charge $40.00 per hour and I want to see if I am in the ballpark. I am still in the learning process on estimating hedge and tree trimming. I have under estimated one job so far.

Thanks for any advice. I have asked for prior advice on other issue's and people on this site have been very helpful to me. :confused: :usflag:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you do not have a pesticide lic. you can not do it.

And if you had a lic. I believe you would not be asking.
    Call FLA. dept. of Agriculture
  3. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

I do want to be legal and I try to operate as a professional. I will look into obtaining a license. I want to let everyone know that I do have a business license and insurance.
  4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I must vent... again:realmad:

One person at a licensed business location can "supervise" unlimited numbers of transient employees who have minimal training.
    So any chucklehead that fills out an application at TruGreen can spray damn near anything, almost anywhere with 5 days field training and 4 hours classroom.

Now the really funny part:

The government has their own class of license, since almost anyone licensed to spray will (1) be someone that knows what that license is worth or (2) be a burgerboy that started with a big company last month.

The government applicator license has no qualification requirements to take the test and requires no insurance. To top it all off the license is good for 4 years and only needs 4 hours continuing education (in 4 years) + $25 to renew.

So... a person in a LCO position is really does not have an effective way to get a full pesticide license. You can get a Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance license after 3 years in the field, but after 8 hours in the classroom,$150, and three years in the landscape industry; you still can't lay out a bag of weed-n-feed:dizzy: You could work for TG for three years, but who wants to spend that much time working for someone else and dumping nitrogen (or water) on yards?

Venting procedure finished:clapping:

Now a question for those who might know...
    Can a person get a ornamental and turf license (minimal requirements, limited to parks, golf course, and cemeteries)
    Use that to treat some low-rent cemeteries for three years and then use that experience to count towards the requirements for Pest Control Operator (PCO) -Lawn and Ornamental

Descriptions found here FL license
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, the entire rigmarole surrounding this license is absolute horse manure from beginning to end, I won't go into details other than if you can actually go through with it, 2 years later you have to do it again thou I suppose the first time is the hardest due to the initial requirements such as HAVING worked for someone licensed for x-years.

I recently found a local community college where I took a class that got me licensed, but cheap it isn't and it's still a bunch of horse manure. I will say thou, they are tightest on restricted chems and not that concerned about the rest, but bust you they can for either one.

That having been said, for Round-up I charge between $10 - $15 / gallon of mix used.
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting a pesticide license is about accepting the responsibility of doing things the right way. Having Insurance to cover if something goes wrong and more importantly having the training so things won't go wrong. If you are driving down the rode with a tank of chemical, have a collision, and it spills all over the rode, Who pays for the clean up, or the unlicensed idiot who poisons a pond. Licensed applicators have to keep records of everything we put down; the applicator that plays by the rules also pays the expense of being legal. And those who don't want to follow the rules,or cant see the need for the rules,should sub it out, or get legal.
  9. mes37fan

mes37fan LawnSite Member

I am not going to spray Round-Up illegally or legally. I believe that I will keep my business simple and provide basic service. Thanks everyone for your input.
  10. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

it all comes down to money, any homeowner can go to homecheapo and buy any chemical to put on his own yard and do more damage but yet no one will say anything, but the solo lco has to be licensed just to spray roundup on someones sidewalk. to me this is a bunch of shite. i mean come on its not like we are spraying napalm and the grass, although napalm makes a good weed killer