Advice on Pricing -- lost a quote -- was I that high?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by britelights, Nov 16, 2009.

1. britelights

britelights LawnSite Member

Okay...got a response from a bid I did last week. Nice big house, low 1-story -- don't get those too often. 430 feet. Quoted $2,700 for LED warm white C-9s. $1965 on rehang. Got notice this morning that we lost the job to Perfect Light. They quoted $1,200 INCLUDING a 5' wreath for the house. $600 on rehang.

Maybe I was a little high on rehang....but am I this far off? Perfect Light is huge in our area -- but they only do C-9s. We have tried in the past to only do light links but have started adding C-9 jobs this year.

2. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

You are higher than what I would be, but not that much higher. I would be at $2150 for 430 feet of LED C9. If it was really easy, I may come down a little, but not a whole lot.

They sold them cheap C9 lights. Keep in mind they are supporting several branches, so they have good buy power, so they are kicking your butt on material costs. But even then, $2.50 a foot is pretty low even for a rehang price!

3. britelights

Thanks for the help. What would you be on a rehang? Does your price include storage, cords, timers...the works?

I thought the rehang was EXTREMELY low for that many feet. I know they are a big company -- but we really sell ourselves on quality product and quality service. But still...I know my prices need to be reasonable as well. They used to be higher than this --- don't know why they're quoting so low now.

4. hotrod1965

I'm a renter, so my price includes everything.

They may have been friends with the home owner, they may be pulling your chain to try and get a lower price... who knows. Keep doing what you are doing and you will stay in business.

5. Don M.

Don M. LawnSite Member

I've been bidding at 6.50 for install take down, maintain and store for led c9's. No takers. it's almost frustrating. Today alone I got 11 estimates. I just started telling everybody we have a min charge. If you think it's going to cost 400 or less we are not the company for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. britelights

I hear ya. I closed a sale today for mini-lights, a 4' mixed noble wreath, and C-7s around the doorway. Nothing up high. They only want to purchase the wreath -- renting the rest of it. $930. No problems on price -- no negotiating. I'll take that all day long compared to these houses that want a high 2-story with C-9s for under $500.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we are at 6.50 a foot for old fashioned c-9's, we don't do LED's unless someone really wants them. I just don't trust them yet. our rehang is 3.25 per foot and those numbers include everything. I close about 1 out of 3 bids at those prices.

Christmas Decor here has really gotten aggressive with thier pricing too, at 2.50 per foot rental each year for everything, and that is all LED. They have got to be closing just about every job they bid. but Those are money losing prices. if the 5 LED bulbs are anything like the ones in the past 6 years have been, they will have hundreds of jobs with a nightmare failure on thier hands. and at a cheap price! on the flip side, If they finally do last a long time, as LED's have promised for the past 6 years, then at least they will have low maintenace costs.

I've started telling people that I am bidding that say they are getting another bid just what the difference between us and them and everyone else is. I have a strand of 3 bulbs and I show them a warm white led with an incandescant. They and others also do not hang wreaths larger than 48", and CD's and all others garland and wreaths are sierra only. we only do the mixed noble foliage. That plus the various items available in the HBL catalog, and honestly our pricing puts us as the more expensive, but better option. If folks want cheap, I want them to to at least admit to themselves that they are getting less options for the lower price.

8. hotrod1965

wow, $2.5 per foot LED for rental! Even if they are using the same LED C9's I am using, they are still looking at 1-2% failure. We have an extremely low mainenace cost with our installs, and I still would walk away on $2.50 per foot!

But then again, here we have the $5 per 100 feet people!

9. Murphy's LawnCare

Murphy's LawnCare LawnSite Member

Pretty frustrating...I had 5 bids today, and the last tire kicker I talked to told me I was 3 times higher than the lowest guy...The woman had her own lights so I bid 3.25 a ft...the low guy bid 1 a ft..I informed her he probably didn't have insurance, or wasn't accounting for certain things, but all she cared about was the $$$

10. PressureWashE

PressureWashE LawnSite Member

You are pretty close on price, I would of been about near where you were, as stated in an earlier post, If it was really easy, I would have brought the price down a hare