Advice on routine maintenance of my 36" w/b

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought an ancient Bobcat Ransomes 36" w/b with a 12hp Briggs and Stratton Engine. The thing looks like crap but seems to run pretty solid for 400 bucks. I want to learn as much as I can about maintaining it before the season starts. I don't wanna be mowing somebody's yard and then a belt snaps and I don't know how to fix it. It also has an electric start with no battery or charging system to support a battery so I have to find a pull starter for it and install it. I ran a search online and couldn't find a B&S Dealer near me - can I go somewhere else. Where can I find info on how to work on this thing. Besides the belts, I need to know what to lube, how to remove and replace the blades for sharpening, etc... Any ideas/suggestions?
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Take it to somebody that knows what they are doing. Have them change the oil, oil filter, belts, plugs, new blades and grease it up. I'm sure they could put a pull start on it. Look for small engine repair shop, however not all of them service commercial equipment so call before going over there. Could cost ya another $200 to $400 to get it completely tuned up. Oh yea, tires, Get ya some new tires, and carefree tires on the me on that one. GOOD LUCK
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Items to check and replace on the engine as regular maintenance:

Air filter
    Spark plug
    Oil (filter if so equipped)
    Fuel Filter.

From the engine to the transmission
    Engine to mower deck
    Deck belts.

Clean the mower up pretty good and look for grease zerks. Start on one side and work your way around the machine.

With the blades I usually use a block of wood between the blade deck. A good socket setup is good. Impact wrench would be better.

The blades are held to the spindles by a stud (bolt)

Just about any small engine shop should be able to help you out if you have any questions or run into major problems.
  4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

change the oil and wash it. drive it till the wheels fall off...then buy slightly used one