1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on starting my own property maintenance business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by c_anfossi, Feb 3, 2001.

1. c_anfossi

c_anfossi LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I am interested in starting a grass cutting business in a year or so and I will be doing snow plowing during winter. It will be part-time at first then full-time a couple of years later. Can you give me any advice, also what do you do for advertising? Finally, how does the billing work, do I just send them a receipt out every week. I will be working from my home. Thanks any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Chris
  2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Chris- First of all I would ask other small lawn guys in your area who they use for taxes. My first year with one "firm" was a nice return only to come back and bite me in the ass. Can you say penalties. Second, bill only at the end of the month. Collecting every week or so only creates more footwork for you. For advertising and billing receipts go to http://www.nebs.com. Call them and ask for a landscape contractor package. They will send you a ton of samples like door hangers for advertising (500 ct for $50), 6x8 register receipts for billing, etc. plus a catalog. Also and most important figure out your overhead so you wont lose money on your bids. Be efficient, on time, maintain professionalism, and you'll go far. Good luck
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Lawnsite. I moved this post over to this forum where it is likely to be viewed by more people.

Eric ELM has set up a link which has a bunch of past discussions from lawnsite. There is a lot of good information there to be learned. So sit back and enjoy the reading.

Here is his link: