1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on starting up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thedieselkid, Oct 9, 2006.

1. thedieselkid

thedieselkid LawnSite Member

I am not new to this industry. I had a company and got out of it to go to school and because my partner screwed me. But I am wanting to get back into it and grow fast. Any helpful info would be great. I have had 2 years of schooling for hort. as well. And I am a certified pesticide applicator. But what I was thinking was starting small and using cheap equipment for the first year or 2. My biggest problem before was my bookeeping. Any tips on how to make that easier. I am going to try and aim for full service residential accounts for the first year or so and then work my way up from there. And basically I am hurting for money right now and will not have money for the good equpment like I use to have and was thinking about going with some less expensive equipment like cub cadet, or maby if I am that strapped for cash even some home depot equipmet until I get some money saved up. Then I will use standers like I used to. I will also be bagging everything as well. Do you guys think I will do all right. After the first year or so I really want to hit it hard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chad
  2. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

I am also in my first year although I dont have an education in pesticides. I bit the bullet when I was short on cash and bought some good equipment: used scag, echo blower/trimmer small hand tools etc. I understand being short on cash but I really dont think you should take a chance at buying cheap crappy equipment that you may have to buy a second time, then yu really didnt save any money. In regards to book keeping there are lots of programs out there that can help some of which you can find on here if you do a search youll find them, you can also consult an accountant to start you off on the right path when it comes to bank accounts, taxes, etc. Hope this helps!!