ADVICE ON THE jOHN DEERE 647 QUICK TRAK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Apr 25, 2004.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I am intrested in hearing from anyone who has or uses th 746 quick trak. If so do you like it? Does anyone use the mulch kit or gator blades with it? I am about to buy one. How easy is it to change blades and clean under the deck also?THANX

2. bntt68

That should be 647 QUICK TRAK JOHN DEERE STANDER!!! SORRY

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I can stay much about the 647 cause I've never used one. However, my JD 757 is built like a tank and leaves a BEAUTIFUL cut. Also, I run a mulch kit on mine and the 7 - Iron deck has never left a clump of grass, even during rain, dew, whatever. As far as changing blades, its like any other mower. Go for it!

4. bntt68

thanks for the info. How do you get the deck up to change the blades? How is the traction and stability on hills? I heard they were bad on hills. thanx

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I run my 757 up the ramp of the trailer with half the deck hanging off (for a Quicktrak which shouldbe much lighter than a ZTR, I might consider the Jungle Jack. . . but I haven't found a jack like the Jungle Jack that is built specifically for a ZTR that I would trust. Be sure to use jack stands if you use a jack though).

As far as hills, once again speaking of a ZTR here, it will hold a hill pretty good as long as it is dry (forget it if wet). This is due to the nature of a ZTR or the Quicktrak which are controlled by only the rear wheels. To get better than that you'd have to have a lawn tractor or even a WB (although it has a lot in common with a ZTR as far as maneuverability). However, my guess would be that the Quicktrak would do better on a hill than a ZTR (but that's only my speculation).

6. Mike Rotterman

Mike Rotterman LawnSite Member

I have the 657 quick trak. I just purchased it last month and have only mowed about 12 hours on it so far. It cuts great and I like it alot. If you are going to be on it for 2 hours or more at one time it gets alittle ruff on the feet standing and I would recommend a ztr instead. But if you are mowing less than that at one time it works great. I also have a Hustler 52" ztr that I also like alot. I wished I would have purchased the 60" one instead but oh well. Back to the 657, I'm very happy with it. It takes a little getting use to but it's really nice. I also was looking at the standers but I like the JD better due to the adjustable floating deck I also got a great deal through JD financing. I am also very happy with the cut. The 7 ion deck is great. I can lift the deck up enough on its own adjustments to change blades. Any other questions just let me know. Mike

7. bntt68

how is your 657 on hills? When you lift the deck up ,do you have enough room to pressure wash under it? How fast are you able to mow and still have a quality cut? Have you used it on wet grass?

8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

did you get the 2yrs 0% interest...i know great dane has that?

9. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

I run the Great Dane Super Surfers and they are awesome!!

I prefer the fabricated deck on the Great Dane over the stamped deck on the Deere...much better cut in my humble opinion

Check out the Great Dane Super Surfer if you have a dealer in your area....you'll love it!!

10. Mike Rotterman

Mike Rotterman LawnSite Member

My hustler does better on hills. I just feel more comfortable on the hustler. Average hills is ok, but remember your standing up and you must lean with it, hold on, and control the mower. Alittle much sometimes but I'm still getting use to it. I haven't pressure washed it yet, I don't think you could do that good of a job unless you raised it up some. on it's own it is about 5" off the ground. Right now I'm mowing at about 3/4 speed that is due to me not being use to it. I have mowed at full speed but I can not keep it straight yet. There is a quick adjustment on the handle bar that you adjust for the speed you need. Wet grass, my son mowed yesterday at our house after a rain and I thought it did as well as the Hustler and my 36" snapper. The yard had not been mowed for 10 days due to all of the rain that week. Water was standing in some places. It doesn't get stuck as easily as the hustler. Ref financing I got 3.9 % through John Deere for 4 years.