Advice on the New Holland MZ-H Zero Turn Mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jake26, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jake26

jake26 LawnSite Member

I joined this site nearly a year ago and have found it very informative but I now have a question that I could not find the answer too in my site search.

My mother-in-law works for J.I. Case Company (owned by New Holland) and through her, I have the opportunity to purchase one of a group of mowers at a reduced cost and 0% financing for 5 years. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything via internet on these machines except for their "specifications". They are too new to the industry.

A link to their site:

http://www.newholland.com/h4/produc...&RL=ENNA&NavID=000001277003&line=000005334011

The group I have a choice from is the MZ17 Zero Turn (MZ), LS Lawn Tractor, GT Garden Tractor or the MY Yard Tractor. I am looking mainly at the MZ17 for residential use for a 3/4 acre that has a few hills. That mower list around $3,500 and my cost would be $2,900 ($55) a month.

If anyone has an opinion on these machines or their specifications, I would appreciate it?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

They are not true commercial equipment. I have the MZ14H , it was i could really afford when i first started. I have used it for two years and that is using it to cut between 25-30 yards a week. Its takes a beating and keeps kickin. You take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

3. jake26

jake26 LawnSite Member

Thanks Krayz,

One question I have is how Zero Trun mowers handle hills compared to a lawn or garden tractor. The hills I refer to are typical cuverts and drainage grades.

4. KrayzKajun

They handle pretty good. takes practice and you learn your limits on hills.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

None of those will last if used daily for commercail purposes. All are made by either MTD, Simplicity, or one of the other builders of cheap mowers, like AYP.
    I suspect those are the cheap Simplicity machines, but not sure.

6. KrayzKajun

TEHY ARE MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY WHO MAKES nEW hOLLAND TRACTORS,SKIDSTEERS AND SUCH. I have prolly close to 500 hours on one and it runs like a champ

7. jake26

jake26 LawnSite Member

Are you certain Mowingman? I could not find the exact location but the light New Holland tractors are manufactured in PA amoung other places so I assume that includes the garden and lawn tractors. Also, New Holland tractors have the Kowasaki and Kholer engines and is a part of IH Case Co. so cheap MTD versions they are not.

I just could not find alot of information on them. I know in my area (Milwuakee), we have only two New Holland dealers in a 100 mile radius so avialability is definiately an issue here.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am 99.999% sure those are not built by New Holland.

9. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Looks to me like Toro maybe building the tractors and the Z's. The Z's look exactly like the Timecutter series, and the GT-A's look like 5XI's

10. jake26

jake26 LawnSite Member

After visiting a dealer, I found that they are built by Toro and is exactly like the TORO 17-42Z only painted blue. Unfortunately, this dealer, the largest of the area, did not have any on hand and with only 4 dealers within a 100 mile radius, I doudt the others will either.

I think I will visit a Toro dealer.

Any opinions on Toros?