Advice on this seed job

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Jul 23, 2006.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok guys and gals, I have a situation here that I could use some advice on. I have a customer that purchased this house last year and the lawn care had been less than desireable, the homeowner had become old and not able to care for it anymore. Last winter I removed tons of leaves from this property and some that had been there for several years.
    Alot of the turf is gone and what is left is kinda thin and hasnt been fed in a number of years it seems. The new owner wants to re- seed parts of it and Im thinking of using red fescue because of the shade. As you can see by the pictures this house sits in the woods and there are trees every where. My biggest worry is that I need to re-seed the mid to later part of august or 1st of sept.Im hoping the customer will water it if we dont get good rainfall and either we are wet or very dry that time of year here. Im worried that the grass may not be mature enough to with stand the traffic of the leaf removal in nov and dec. Would yall go ahead and seed or wait till early spring and hope to get the grass established before the heat set in in 2007?

wayne

Heaphy account 1.jpg

Heaphy account 2.jpg

Heaphy account 3.jpg

Heaphy account 4.jpg

Heaphy account 5.jpg

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

here are a couple more of the trees and grass. These pictures were taken at 10 am and that is when the most sun is in this area the most. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with a camera phone, I left the digatal at home

wayne

Heaphy account 6.jpg

Heaphy account 7.jpg

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

hey Wayne just rip all that stuf up and lay some sod !!!! and as long as they keep it wateredit will be able to last though the fall

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I just bid a similar job last week. I bid to do the job in two phases. In the first stage, I bid areovation and lime applications and removeing about 12 stumps. In the second stage, I bid, another round of lime as well as fertilizer, seed and areovation. The first phase to begain as soon as he accepts the bid and the second round that includes seed to start in mid sept. No use fertilizing his weeds and crab grass now. His lawn is mostly crab grass and tall fescue. I want to plant the grass in fall so that pre m's can start in the spring to control the crab grass. If I wait till spring to seed, I wont be able to apply any herbicides early enough to control the crab grass.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

muddstopper makes a great point. I would go ahead and seed in sept and maybe do a shade/sun blend to cover all areas. Consider the steps that muddstopper is using to renovate the soil before you seed.