Advice On Upselling Grub Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I did not offer grub control last year and I did not experience any grub damage on the lawns that I fertilized. How do you guys upsell this to people that have not experienced the problem first hand? Existing and new customers.

I am going to push this on all of my new accounts this year because I did see damage last year, but fortunately not on my lawns.

Thanks...

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I use the guidlines that the Cornell co-op suggests. More than 6 or 7 grubs in a sq foot of turf needs treatment. I don't like spring apps for late instar grub control, it isn't very effective and requires high doses. But, this is when I would do my grub count. They are bigger and easier to find in the turf. Once they hatch, lay new eggs, I hit that first instar larvae hard.

If the customer (or I) notice a high population of adults flying around, it's I think safe to assume a summer app of late July, early August is in order. As an LCO, being there every week makes it easier to sell when needed.

I prefer not to kill beneficials when I don't have to. Merit and Dylox will take out the grub predators too.

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Whitey,

You just recently became licensed over the winter according to your very first posts when you joined this site two months ago. You talk like you know everything under the sun about pesticide use but strangely last year was your first year in the lawn business using a 21" mower. I smell BS or someone who talks too much. Maybe it's both............................

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch. It must be getting that time of year again....it's been a long winter on all of us.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't count on the free green beer. Sounds like 20 years experience, but...Whitey is a thinker--scary--maybe he read the book twice.

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

That is pretty amazing

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Oh Crap....here it goes! Glad I didn't start this one!

I will have to admit...that Whitey does speak up alot for not having much expericence. Dude has 550 posts in like 2 or 3 months.....

But the guy does a great job and seems to know his stuff!

Most of the time his statments and facts are very accurate!

Can't really knock guy for knowing his stuff, but he has probably picked up most from reading, but that is a great start! Now when he hits the field he can get some exp and do an awesome job!

8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I was wondering the same thing about Whitey. Doesn't matter, anyone else have opinions?

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Pictures are worth a thousand words! If you can find any pics of a nice KBG lawn that has been ravished by grubs, it makes a nice visual. Otherwise, tell them it's an insurance policy, and the possible damage is expensive. The WORST thing you can do is not offer it to them up front. Even if they don't buy it, & you have to save the lawn with Dylox, at least you can say "remember you opted not to get this service" & you're off the hook.

It always seems harder to sell a service that the benefit is to NOT see any difference from the usual way it looks;) The people who have experienced grub damage seem to be a very easy sell:)

10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

its alot like selling auto insurance. people dont wait till they have had an accident to buy auto insurance
    sell it as an insurance policy