Advice on Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Apr 25, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I posted this earlier on the Hustler forum and I'm still waiting on it to get up there. So I thought I'd try here too.

I'm planning to get into the mowing buisness on my own next year and I'm looking to get a walkbehind. I've been working for someone for the past two years and what I've lived on is an exmark turf tracer. It's a 48in deck w/mulch kit, it has the ecs handles, and uses a pro slide.

I like the size of the deck and the mulching option. I don't like the squeeze controls, so I'm looking at a Hustler 48 w/mulch kit. I still have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

1. How does the Hustler mulch. This is important because I'll probably mulch 80% of the time.

2. What sulky would be recomended? I like the proslide, but I realize that there is more maintanace with it. Also you have to walk anytime you're not in the yard. However it's nice that it retracts out of the way when you need it to. With the wheeled sulky's like the bull rider, how hard is it to get up and down curbs? I'm used to backing up them, but I guess you'd have to go forward up curbs with a wheeled sulky right? Which leads to another question, does the bull rider pivot where it connects, or would it actually keep the front end from lifting up by adding length? Which would make it that much harder to climb curbs if you can't lift the front of the mower. Forgive my ignorance I've only used the proslide before.

3. What are the differences between the 15 and 17 horse motor, and don't say 2hp :D Meaning is there a noticiable difference? Also, I think I read on here that with a carb adjustment/mod you could up it to 17. Is that true?

4. I also read the possibility of a newer more compact walkbehind with a liftable deck. Does anyone from Hustler have any comment on this. It might make a difference of whether I buy now or wait until later in the season.

A dealer new where I live has the 48" hydro w/15 hp for around $3900. This seems like a pretty good deal to me, but if there's a new WB coming out I'd like to wait and see what it is first.

Any feedback is appreciated and I'm sure there be more questions before it's all over with.

Thanks.