1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on walkbehind situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Alrigth guys, here's my situation. I have a Snapper walk behind that I bought used for $1100. It's a hydro and it runs pretty good. However, since I bought it, I've had to put around $300 into it in repairs. No big deal I expect parts to wear out on it. But what annoys me is that my dealer doesn't seem to be able to get me parts in any hurry. I don't know if he doesn't care, or if he's too busy, but it takes at least 2 weeks for any kind of part. At the beginning of the year, I had to get a new shaft that controls the drive system (hard to explain) for $100. Took 2 weeks. Then just recently I had to get a hydro pump rebuilt, $75, 2 more weeks. And now, I'm still waiting for a pto switch that got rusty while it was sitting outside their shop. I'm not exactly mad at them, but I kinda need my mower. So anyway, I'm thinking about selling it, and getting an Exmark or Scag. My question is, do these mowers have better part availibilty? I think that Exmark has an overnight parts guarantee. Is this true? What about Scag?

2. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

My exmark dealer never has my mower longer then 2 days. 90% of the time they fix it as I wait....but I have a great dealer.

Vance Trendov
    Trust Lawn Care
  3. Lawnut101

Thanks for the help. I just don't understand how a repair shop can take 2 weeks and stay in business. I have a limited budget so I was only looking to spend about 2 grand on a used Exmark TT or TTHP. I'm still building my business, but I still need a good effecient mower.
  4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Some shops need a minimum order amount they must meet before they can order or get free shipping or whatever. Some shops only order brand X parts one day a week. Its possible your parts were not ordered right away. Find out what your shops ordering policy is so if you really need a part quick you can make arrangements but there may be extra costs.
    This is good info to know on any shop you plan to deal with. Theres no good reason for them not to tell you their policy. I also like to find out how much stuff they stock. Many "dealers" don't stock much more than a few blades and belts.

5. Lawnut101

Thanks. They said that they ordered it they day that I called them. And we were calling them and they said they didn't know what was taking so long. So I really don't know whats going on with them.
  6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

During peak season down here, you'd be luck to get your mower fixed in a week. Most of my dealers take about two weeks for repairs and about a week for parts if they don't have it in stock. I try to have a back up for everything ie, two weedeaters, two blowers. If my ztr goes down, I could limp by with my wb. If my wb down, then 21". I want to get another wb someday. Its kinda hard to have backup though when your just starting out because money can be tight.

Repairs in 2 days, damn thats good.
  7. Lawnut101

Well, to me, this just doesn't seem reasonable. I would check with our other repair shop, but I don't like them to begin with. I've heard many stories about them. I do have a backup a John Deere LX176, it's really nice, but it only has a 38 in deck and I really miss my 48in deck. Three blades are so much nicer than 2.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got a couple Snapper WB hydro also and it does take about 2 weeks for most parts, but I keep the units for backup. Scag parts are definitely more available and can be gotten on line.....but some parts take a week thru the online guys whereas dealer network sometimes beats them.
  9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Exmark will do the over night thing if the order is place before noon the day before, I do a few Exmarks in the shop I work at, but we are not an Exmark dealer. I can not speak for Scag. But there are alot of parts that are the same on alot of the WB and Zs out there, that is why there are aftermarket
    suppliers like Stens who supplies many of the things we sell. And there is this link to ...

ericg likes this.
  10. Lawnut101

My dealer orders Oregon parts. So, he hasn't actually ordered Snapper parts. But I just thought that it was pretty lame to have to wait 2weeks for it to get fixed in their shop and even worse when I had to wait 2 more weeks for parts. And in my business, I want to be productive, just like everyone else.