1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advice on ztr

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pdenney11, Feb 22, 2008.

1. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

I would appreciate some advice on a start-up ztr. I don't know much about the cheaper mowers. I'd like to get something with a 42"-50" deck, new for the warranty, price range around 2500-4000. I've been looking at Dixon, and the Z225 John Deere 42" at Home Depot. I want something that will last a while so it can be my backup mower next year. If anyone knows anything about Dixon or John Deere or can make other suggestions that would be great.
  2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

most people are going to tell you that those machines are cheap. From the way it sounds you will be using this mower commercially, therefore, putting some hours on it. By buying a home owner model you are really taking a chance with weather or not it will last one season.
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Typical response for someone that may know about the commercial line of Dixon mowers !! I agree that you don't want a homeowner machine, therefore, I would get the Dixon RAM MAG 50" ... it's the low end of Dixon's commercial line, but it is a full commercial unit. I happen to have had a great experience with mine ... it's a great machine, I recommend it without hesitation.
  4. gandk06

You mean to tell me that Dixon makes a 50" commercial ztr for 2500-4000?

just because you put the word commercial on something doesn't mean it will stand up. A lot companies out there use that word as a marketing tool.

Maybe I am wrong and if I am I would love to look at one of these. They would save a lot of companies a lot of money.
  5. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

Don`t go with the home owner machine you won`t get the warranty to back you up because u r using it commercially
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you decide on the Deere, imho you would have a better chance of getting warranty service in a reasonable time from a dealer, but realize it is a pretty short warranty period when a residential mower is used commercially. Retail price is the same at a dealer or sLowes / HD. I know homeowners who have had horrible experiences with warranty service from the boxes, up to six months down time just to get it looked at.

I'm not familiar with Dixon because there is no dealer anywhere near here. Very rare to see one here, and it will usually be an older residential where someone moved into the area bringing it with them. Might be great mowers. I just have no data to base an opinion on.
  7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

No, Dixon doesn't make a coomercial unit for that price range !! My apology, I apparently misread the initial post for this thread ... I allowed for the possibility that he was considering a used Dixon machine. But your point is well taken, if he's looking at a new Dixon unit in that price range then I would agree with you that he doesn't want either the Dixon or JD for commercial use, because they are howeowner units.
  8. gandk06

That is what I thought about there units. Although, I did just go to Dixons website and I have to say some of there high end units look very nice. I have to admit I have never seen one in my area and don't even know where the closest dealer is to me.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You can't get a new commercial ZTR in that price range. Maybe look for used equipment. You migh be able to get a Toro 34z for around $4000, but I am not sure of the price. Don't buy a mower from Lowes or Home Depot....for commercial use.
    You are either going to get in to the biz or not. Why buy cheap equipment that won't last. Well, I know why...price. But trust me, I have been there, cheap equipment will cost you more money in the end....not to mention headaches. Go commercial.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this is true, and to be honest most people KNOW that all the "TOP END" mowers are about the same, it comes down to personal prefrance, But one factor that you need to look at hard is, where is my dealer...

a 10,000.00 dollar mower is worthless if it's sitting broke down and you have to order parts from tim-buck-too,