Advice please on Holland paver Install

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dchauling, Feb 21, 2007.

1. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Is it alright to lay the border as I did or should have it been the other way?

On the second pic I would like your advice on how I could have cut/installed the holland brick on the stairs instead of it looking so crappy. Especially the top step.

Almost Oct 008.jpg

Craig 043.jpg

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Pic 1- what you did is acceptable. It's called a sailor course, not a solider course. On narrow walkways like that a sailor course is sometimes preferred over a solider, especially when you use a contrasting color like you did. I would have strived for a perfectly straight walk; the picture looks like yours has some minor issues in the straightness department. Could just be the camera though. :waving:

Pic 2- I'm not exactly sure how I would have done it without being there to lay it out. On both steps I probably would have first attempted to let the block act as the border course (like the soldier/sailor course) and simply lay the field cutting as needed. If the blocks were part of the job I may have also persued setting the blocks at a hieght to allow gluing the pavers over the top, thus the block would simply be the riser. Was the top step (block and paver) even needed? If it wasn't I would have laid right up to the edge of the concrete and let it go.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I perfer a sailor course on most walkways. I'd only use a soilder course on a large patio or driveway. I like to use 6x6's as a boarder. Hmm is a 6x6 a sailor or a solider course?

On pic #2, i would of made the stairs have a better curve. The way you laid the block just doesn't flow. On such a small area, i would of done what Dfleix said and let the block be the boarder.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

well said D Felix

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmmm... :laugh: As said a sailor coarse looks good on smaller walkways. As far as the steps, I agree on using the block as the border. The second step is out of shape compared to the first. Aslo to get neater cuts we find cutting the backs of the block help so when you lay your pavers you can make cleaner cuts. If you don't want to go thst route you can do as D Felix said and glue bullnose on top of the block instead. :)

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

On the second pic, you have your border in two different places. The smoother the radius the easier it is to cut in borders. Having a border within the steps is a personal preference. I think you had room to install a border, but I think in this case I probably would have gone w/ a different colored cap or block to act as a border.

Chris