advice please

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ctSeb, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That's about as well as you can do. Don't let your mature grass go to bed wet.

2. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

I would slit seed and then top dress....lots of bare areas, the compost would provide good cover.

3. ctSeb

ctSeb LawnSite Member

thanks for the input everyone. Hopefully I can post some good result photos in a couple months.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds about right, Seb,
    Any kind of starter will probably work, Scotts or whatever brand you prefer. No need to pull out crabgrass by the roots, as it leaves a big hole. Cut crabgrass off flush to the soil with a steak knife or drywall saw. Quick--easy. (If you don't have too many, LOL.) Be sure to add additional fert to build thickness, after 30 days.
    Be sure to mow as soon as it gets tall enough--as this helps the grass to spread sideways. Don't use cheap seed.

5. ctSeb

ctSeb LawnSite Member

Update: Lawn project is about a year old now.
    I did a core aeration and overseed last fall.
    I'd say its im down to 5% or less weeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for the advice everyone!

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am impressed, Seb. What kind of seed did you use? And you applied crabgrass control in the last few days, right?

7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Riggle beat me to it, I would put down some crabgrass preventer like yesterday.

The lawn looks nice and thick, but that stuff lurks beneath the surface and the lawn is still fairly new so it is prone to an outbreak given it's history and what was there before.

Do it NOW if you haven't already.

8. ctSeb

ctSeb LawnSite Member

I used Lesco 50/50 rye/kbg. I believe they use it for golf courses and athletic fields. I put Crabgrass control down about a week ago so I should be ok with that.

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a "few" miles south of you. Crab has been up here for 3 weeks+ already. Dont get discouraged if you see some this season.

10. ctSeb

ctSeb LawnSite Member

Not worried about it. If it takes me a few seasons to get it perfect I'll be happy with that.
    Posted via Mobile Device