Advice re: Bobcat ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jdknox, Jan 14, 2004.

1. jdknox

jdknox LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Profile: Homeowner with 1.5 acre lawn.

I may have an opporunity to purchase a 52" Bobcat ZTR with less than 200 hours. I believe it will likely be priced about $1,000 to $1,500 higher than I wanted to spend...in the $5,000 range.

I know the Bobcat name but not a lot about the mower. One bonus is there is a dealer less than 5 miles where I live. Given that I am a homeowner (only) it is more mower than I obviously need but is this a mower you would stretch your budget on or should I be patient and wait for another used commercial ZTR?

Will there be more used ZTRs available closer to spring time? I'm afraid I may be waiting for the impossible...quality used commercial ZTR with less than 700-800 hours and less than $4,000.

Thanks for the advice,

Nervous with a wife who can't believe I may spend $3-4,000 for a MOWER!!

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I see NEW Bobcats on Ebay for around $4000.00 all the time. Cub cadet too. Free shipping also. Maybe something to check out.

If I bought something used it would be an exmark.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bobcat mowers are not the same company that makes Bobcat skidsteers mini excavators etc. 2 dif. co.

Mac

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Correct, Bobcat is made by Ransomes.

5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1) Yes, more used ZTR's around spring.

2) Yes, you are going to wait a while for a "quality" used commercial ZTR with less than 800 hrs.

3) My suggestion would be to look for something with more hours if you can find it. You have 1.5 acres...your putting the machine into the realm of retirement at 800 hrs., it's just getting broke in. I would venture to say you'll be fine with a decent BobcatZTR, but I have only looked at them, never owned one.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I owned a Bobcat 60" ZTR. I ran the heck out of it for about 5 years and never had a minutes downtime with it. They are a pretty tough mower in my opinion. It should serve your needs well.

7. npfaff

npfaff LawnSite Member

did you have th kawasaki engine was it a pro cat?

8. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems a bit steep in price for being used?

There are allot of quality mowers you can get new for 1.5 acres! Off the top of my head you can get a Hustler 48" Fastrak under 5K. I also like the Bobcats and I would think you could get a new 52" procat for around 5K??? I would drive around to a few dealers now and see what they have laying around! Could be a good time to find a deal on a machine!

9. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

Holy 8-yr old thread resurrection Batman!

Capemay...you are thinking of the Fastcat Pro for ~$5k (like mine). The ProCats are the wide-frame, pump & wheel motor models that are $7k and up
    Posted via Mobile Device