Advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Tharrell, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody have some ideas for this area, specifically the walkway?
    I put a micro irrigation in but am waiting to finish the walk before hiding the tubing.

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Whats the budget?, pavers come to mind. Maybe manufactured bluestone, it comes in all sorts of sizes.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask the paver guys there are some very prof. on this forum.
    Mike

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking some sort of paver also. This is a really old restored cabin next door to me. I'm going to do it for the experience. My landlord owns both this and the house I live in next door.
    Is there a paver that would fit in with an old cabin? Or some other type of stone? I'd appreciate any input from you paver and stone guys.
    Here's a couple of other pics of the front. I gave the landlord some flowers left over from other jobs.

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd go with the manufactured bluestone, they come in a variety of sizes and I think have a sort of classic, old look. The other option I see for this is a redish colored paver something tumbled, giving it a kind of worn look, this will blend nicelt with the brick under the porch. We use mostly techo pavers however they are a bit pricey, other manufacturers make similar products. One of my favorites in techo is the Elena series, 5 different sizes for a totally random pattern, something I think looks rustic in certain enviorments(like in front of a cabin). lastly I'd avoid a soldier course on this if using pavers it would look too finished. Also I personally am not a fan of straight runs, I don't know what your limits on space are but if possible maybe a curve.

6. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

maybe belgard oldcastle. or anything that is tumbled will add a lot of character and give the rustic look. You could do a solid walkway or, you sould leave some spacing and add some river rocks in between.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i would advise not using the river jack around a walk way........it doesn't stay put..........trip/ankle hassard

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a very good point is sure does move and makes a terrible walk way.
    Mike

9. hortiscape

hortiscape LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

what about natural flagstone?. paver's, paver's, pavers.
    Where are all the stone workers?

10. hortiscape

hortiscape LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

No offense of course, you guys all do great work.
    It's just that I rarely hear anybody talk much about natural stone.