Advice?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by depeche71, Jul 23, 2006.

1. depeche71

depeche71 LawnSite Member

I am wanting to start my own business and have done lots of research. I was wondering if someone could give me their top 5 suggestions on how to make it a success.

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well my suggestions would be based on age, amount of money investing, level of service your wanting to provide, are you thinking this is away to get quick cash (here today, gone tomorrow type of business?)

1. Willing to work harder than you ever have.
    2. Spend all income for first yr or 2 on equipment, advertising, ins, etc...
    3. Work even harder to pay these things off quicker
    4. Work much harder than last yr to compete with lower prices and huge inflation ie: (ins, fuel)
    5. Sell and go work for burger king (want some fries with that) :laugh:
    6. Forgetting all your pain and efforts and hate selling fries and are thinking about getting back into lawn care
    7. completing the cycle Going back to suggestion #1 Next

3. K&A Lawncare

K&A Lawncare LawnSite Member

1. Be prepared to work long hard hours.
    2. Be honest.
    3. Know your limitations and work on making them better.
    4. Save money for the off season before anything else.
    5. Remember to smile it could always be worse.

4. depeche71

Thanks I was wondering how to get the word out?
    Putting fliers out is the best way ?

5. K&A Lawncare

K&A Lawncare LawnSite Member

You can never put out too many fliers. Put an ad in the yellow pages. Door hangers, flood a neighborhood with doorhangers. Put them up maybe once a month or ever other month, just so they remember your name and when they need service your's will pop in their head.

6. depeche71

No i want to make this a business, I want to be in control of my own destiny and have always wanted to be in the lawn service business. I will do whatever it takes to make it a success.

7. depeche71

All i am asking for is a realistic picture of what I should expect, hard work and long hours aside?

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It's really what ever you want it to be. If you work long hard hours and have a good marketing background and can market your work and make other decide to use you then your on the right path. Good Luck!!