Advice!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnguy996, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lawnguy996

lawnguy996 LawnSite Member

Me and my friend are planning on starting a lawn care buisness in southeast Michigan. Does anyone have any advice like with equipment or anything that you could give us?? Any would be GREATLY appreciated.:)
    Thanks in advace
    -lawnguy996-

2. dfklawn

dfklawn LawnSite Member

i prefer hustler mini z 52" 23hp. its small enough for my subdivisions and big enough for my 4 acre yards. i also have two 60" hustlers but the 52 is a GREAT base mower in my opin. i just switched from echo to stihl after 10 year of loyalty.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

equipment brand is sort of a ford/chevy question. get good commercial grade equipment that has good dealer support. most equipment is built to an industry standard, however some mowers do better in certain areas than others.

4. dfklawn

dfklawn LawnSite Member

my dealer carries, hustler, grasshopper, bunton, bobcat, snapper,skagg,simplicity,aerens, gravely,redhawk,he will tell you pro and con about all of them... his fav is hustler also..controls is the bid difference,.,.most have a variety of motor optionscomparable to eachother

5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Your equipment needs to match your customers lawns. Are you doing 5 acre jobs? Commercial 30 acre jobs? 1/4 acre postage stamp lawns?

The worst thing you can do is buy the equipment before you get the work. If you bid a 10 acre job, and you only have a 48 walk behind, you're losing money and don't even know it.

Anyone can cut grass. It takes experience to run a business.

You and your friend should go work for different landscapers. Just for one year. Absorb all you can. Then, after one year, if you both are sreious, go for it.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First word of advice?.....Get rid of the "and my friend" in your business formulation. This is one of the best words you will ever read or here, and goes way deeper than you know.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Without a doubt, by the time ya split profits in this industry , you both will just be making a paycheck.

8. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

So wish I would have read this when I started. What a PITA it's been for both of us. Great fella, but he's not able to devote his time as much as I am.

9. lawnguy996

lawnguy996 LawnSite Member

thanks for every thing guys. We are looking at all John Deere products. We were thinking on starting out with the JD LA 105 and LA 135LE a 21" push mower and a JD trimmer w/ blower and edger attachments :)

10. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

And if you are looking to get into a 50/50 partnership using SLOW residential grade equipment you are REALLY in for a rude awakening. Hope you have a rich uncle that is going to be feeding you.