1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advion VS Bad Infestation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at top choices it's expensive but works great. We use advion to treat mounds only. Duocide works well for a cheaper option but I think only works for 30days. It will get them under control. The top choice lasts a year and is a really low rate.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a fan of Dupont Advion Insect Granule Bait. I have had little experience with it because it hasn't been successful for me. Yes it does seem to have a quicker but less effective Knock down. Other Baits that take weeks to gain control seem to be a more complete solution. Of course the Time factor to get into the food chain and do the job is the big draw back to baits.

I might suggest spraying in the High Traffic areas and using baits on the rest.

4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

TopChoice, I believe is a restricted product, expensive but effective on preventing re-infestations.

Advion cheap to treat large area, but needs a couple of days rain free. Difficult to broadcast over an acre if using a hand spreader such as scotts spreader due to the little amount per acre. Had good results, but started to re-infest within two months.

I prefer not to drench anymore, due to residual effects of some products, some lasting as long as 20 years (Bifenthrin).

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

This place is around 11 acres and I would treat around 4 so top choice would be too expensive plus its needs watered in and we are dry as a bone. Our avarage for Sept is 4.49" and we got a tad over an inch and Oct should be a tad over 4" and so for around a inch.
    I may try the Advion and tell them 75% control.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

8. humble1

from MA

9. humble1

from MA