Advise me!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 21, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen guys i have an oppurtunity to get in on a very large project with 10 years of work! I would like some insight because i have never had an oppurtunity to get on something this large! First off, they only pay once a month so the first month will be hell with payroll an everything purchased outta pocket!Secondly, i must have workmans comp., i have general liability but they require workmans comp,period! Thirdly , they are willing to give us 24 houses to do immediately! Job consist of final grade, seeding, some sod installation, an light landscaping! Do ya think its worth it? lets here what you guys think! Thanks George

2. anthonyr

anthonyr LawnSite Member

If I were you, I'd politely decline, and tell them to call Rojo Landscaping!!:) Just kidding. I've never had a project that large or anything that comes close, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A lot of developers here only pay once a month for tax purposes, so that's not unusual. Most developers will require insurance, I've never had a problem with workmans comp, but no ones ever asked. I'm sure they just don't want a lawsuit, so they are covering their asses. You should get cost of materials before you start, they should understand that. Do you have to supply materials, or do they order them for you and have them deliverd? I personally wouldn't pay out of pocket expenses for that much material. Other than that, I'd go for it!!

3. baddboygeorge

everything has to be supplied by me! Thats alot of money to be spending an waiting for a month to get a paycheck. It will be tough, payroll for a month an all the supplies not counting gas for trucks to get there, an i will have to get a workmans comp policy! I really wanna do it but getting it going is gonna be a pain in the behind! They say the contractor pays well an if ya do a good job an meet deadlines the work is endless!! I will see the numbers tomm. when i talk with the general contrator more in depth! Will keep you guys posted , thanks George

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You need to go to your local bank and get a revolving line of credit.Get enough to cover one month of expenses first.Then,as soon as you receive payment,pay it off.This will let the bankers know you're good for it.
    Do the same thing the next month,as you build a relationship with the loan officers at the bank.Down the road,they will extend credit for you,so you can borrow more at one time.
    Make sure you're making enough to cover any financing charges.

5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Your suppliers for sod, soil, plants and irrigation materials should all offer 30-day lines of credit...some offer longer. I won't do business with any nursery, supply yard or irrigation wholesaler that expects COD. Once you get accounts with suppliers it should be a no-brainer. Also, you won't have to buy ALL your supplies at the first of the month...you might purchase sod, plants and irrigation supplies June 20th, get paid for that work by the developer July 1st and not owe YOUR suppliers until JULY 20th...understand? That's how I do it...sometimes I pay cash when I'm out my suppliers area...but it makes cash-flow very difficult when you're the bank for someone else's company.

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I would ask every question I could before signing the contract. Second I would see if they would just do a 6 month contract to start off with to see if you like it. THat way after 6 months you can get out of it if you need to. Tell them after the 6 months allow you to change any thing you would like different and them sign the 10 year contract.

7. baddboygeorge

i had a meeting with this company an the didnt know any figures , didnt have blueprints ,but they knew it had to be done by march first! Really they were lost so when i called em back monday they said it was all taken care of an that they appreciated my time. They also said if there arrangements didnt work out that they would give me a call. Really i am glad it didnt work out, lotta B.S. to put up with but it would have been alot of work. Reality is the questions i was asking they couldn't respond to, this company has the Duh syndrome!!!

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the oldest trick in the book. Developers get young upstart companies roped in with a promise and get them to finance their jobs. Then they don't pay you and they know you are too broke to fight them in court.

Ask yourself why they want you out of all the landscapers in the world. You think they don't know any others? You think they think you are more capable than others? You think that they just want to help out a young hard working guy because they like doing that kind of thing? Or do you think that they might think that they can dangle a carrot in front of you and get you to be so horny to do the job that you will do extremely dumb things in order to get the job?

9. baddboygeorge

they can keep holding that carrot , i aint jumping anytime soon I have been in business 13 years an have experienced some hard trials in that 13 years . You learn, sometimes the hard way but you dont make that mistake twice. When the general contractor couldn't anwser my questions i knew that wasn't the job for me!! I pick an choose my work very carefully especially when i take on large work! With spring approaching soon i really didnt wanna put all my time into a project that large.I already have alot of jobs lined up for this season so my time is limited! thanks for everthing George