Advise needed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by student101, Sep 18, 2006.

1. student101

student101 LawnSite Member

I have a couple patches of this happening in my yard any advise on what i need to do, thank you.
    St Augustine grass north texas slowly spreading, lawn is on a set watering once a day for 20 minute

IMAGE_00013.jpg

2. student101

Advise, this lawn was laid early this year and I have not been able to put anything on it. I really would like some help before I lose it all. Thank You in Advance.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

St Augustine is not around my area so I can't offer much but, it kinda looks like a chemical burn to me, the stone looks like something drained across it and into the grass, is this a possibility?
    maybe one more pic showing a little more of the area would help.
    sorry, best I can offer at this point. any other details you can pass on I'm sure would help.
    Come on guys, need a few of you from the warm season to comment on this one.

4. student101

Thanks Stumper I will try and tonight if I get home early enough to get some more pictures. there are about six different spots like this but this is the biggest and it is growing it started out about 18 inches and has continued to grow. the soil is wet from quite a bit of recent rains. I have turned off the sprinkler system for now(rained all day yesterday) here are acouple more that I did not think were good Wife took them yesterday. thanks again

IMAGE_00015.jpg

IMAGE_00014.jpg

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

first, let me say i don't deal with warm season grasses either, but it looks like possibly a disease. you should definitely switch up your watering techniques. watering everyday will promote disease and encourage a shallow root system. from my experience the best watering is every 3-4 days very deeply (hour or two).

6. stumper1620

I tend to agree, I noticed the drains near each spot, almost looks like it may have drowned under a puddle.

7. stumper1620

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think its more of whats under the sod than whats in it. What kinds prep did you do in that area? Not enough soil under the sod around the drain areas or compacted soil as was mentioned

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

fungus...use eagle from lesco or daconil if you only have access to home depot.
    watering once a day is WAY too much.If you are getting rain twice a week is fine. Do not water at night either! The daconil plus the reduction in watering will
    stop it. It will grow out of it quick in summer.

10. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

No fertilizer at all?

And start here for advice, particularly about watering: www.aggieturf.com