Advise on a quality cut 36in Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kenmc5, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Kenmc5

Kenmc5 LawnSite Member

Looking at purchasing a 36in walk behind for personal use. Just over 1 acre of mowing. After some investigating and checking out many threads. narrowed down the choice to Quick 36, Scag, or Exmark . Have good Exmark and Scag dealers close by, however the Q36 sounds like a nice versatile mower. I'd probably go with the the one that gives the best cut with side discharge . Would be open to investigating other models. Looked at Simplicity's Pacer, but no reverse and not sure how heavy duty it is. Started pushing the lawn with a 21 in LB last summer, (believe it or not for exercise ). Liked the looks of a yard mowed with a WB. Like to get a good cut w/o the tire tracks of a rider.

Plan to keep the mower for a while so no problem investing in the commercial model. Had 17 years of great service with a Wheel Horse 5-20H. Wheel horse gives a great cut but leaves tire tracks in the yard. Always has & always will. It will be used for plowing the driveway, rolling, hauling , and aerating . Pretty good with basic maintenance (oil & filter changes, grease z fittings, sharp blades , stabilized gas... ) WH went 16 years before going to a repair shop for electrical problems. Still runs like a champ.

Any advise, thanks in advance, Ken

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Exmark or Toro....would be my suggestion.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

go with the Q36. for the price it can't be beat.

my favorite part is that in the warranty period they pay for WHATEVER machanic YOU want to work on it.

I've seen some pics of the cut and it looks pretty good.
    BTW, the side discharge shute is just like a continuation of the deck, just like the dixie's.