advise on laying landscape brick......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ztr24, May 12, 2008.

1. ztr24

ztr24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have my first small landscape project of the season, and I am in need of a little help. I have to double stack the Landscape Rock which are appx 8” X 12” each. I am going to dig down about 1 1/2 inch and level off the ground so my rock is not all wavy. I am a little worried that over time once it rains, the landscape rock will begin to sink into the ground and become un-even.

My question is, what can I do to prevent this from happening once I level the ground? My plan was to set some treated 1 x 8’s on the leveled ground to help keep the rock leveled, but I am not sure if this is the way to go.

Any advise would be great guys. Thanks
  2. slammerjax

slammerjax LawnSite Member

Dig down 3 inches.

Mix some pea gravel or other fine rock with dry cement mix.

Fill the hole. Lay your stone. Then spritz with water. It will set well and hold the stone.

3. ztr24

ztr24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

any other suggestions? What about patio block? I am not adverse to using cement mix, just wanted some other opinions. Thanks
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How tall is it going to be? Slammer nailed it unless it's going to be a tall wall. Then you'll need footers. Use a base of stone dust or pee gravel as stated. Don't forget the level.
  5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

put some stone dust down and tamp it
  6. ztr24

ztr24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the advise guys. So I can use the premix concrete right?
    Should I wait for it to dry, or lay brick before it dries? I am stacking two high about 12-maybe 16” tall.

One more thing!! What if I were to lay the brick on solid leveled ground? Something my customer suggested to me!! (Penny Pincher)