Advise on mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Speed, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Speed

Speed LawnSite Member

Hi Folks,

Got another question. Any imput would be aprreciated.

I have been looking at lawn mowers. In my first post I mentioned a woods mower and someone e-mailed me and gave me some good advise.

Heres the thing. I have decided the smart money for me would to try and start this thing out part time and keep my present job for at least a season. This I hope will tell me a couple of things. First do I really like this work and second can i get the number of accounts I need to earn a living.

Ok I got side tracked.

I looked at a John Deere L110 tonight that has a 17.5hp kohler engine single cylinder engine w/h a 42 inch cut at Home Depot for just less than $1800. My question is do you think this would be a good move or do you think I would be better off paying more for a used w/b that is considered more of a commercial mower.

Also I have been reading some posts that guy/gals have been mowing lawns for around $25. I figure I will need to average at least $35 per lawn so if anyone on here lives around eastern N.C. and could enlighten me on this it would be appreciated also.

Thanks and next time I will try not to write a book : )

Steve

2. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Don't waste your money on the "Lawn" tractor. Find and buy a good 36 to 48in. walk behind then go find yourself some jobs and start keeping track of your time, expenses, and income. That will tell you more than anything. Also do a search on pricing, income etc for more advise. You will def. have to average more than 25 per yard if they are "average" yards.

Jim
    Lawn Cops

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Buy a commercial W/B or ZTR, new or used. It will by far ,out cut any lawn tractor.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with bob. Buy a good used wb w/ least hours for the money (hydro if u can afford) and by no doubt u will b glad that u did it. i had a tractor there crap get at least a good 36" wb. Good Luck;)

5. Markus

Markus LawnSite Member

Bob hit the nail on the head, don't waste your money on any lawn-tractor for mowing, I mow alot of my accouts with a 52" walkbehind with velke, You can get under trees, close to allthe interior terrian, It takes me around 30min on a 6to8K lawn i cut very fast sometimes 7mph with velke,and do a really nice job. Look for a used walkbehind or if your budget allows finance a new one, Then as you grow add your ZTR rider....Marks Mowing Service

6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Purchasing commercial equipment is is almost always THE way to go....this situation is NO exception!

7. Speed

Speed LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput Guys.

Its not what I was hoping to hear but I will take your advise.

I was hoping to hear yeah that would be a good machine for a few years and then i could buy a mower and trailer for around $3500.

I suppose the same would apply to the shaft driven Cub Cadet at lowes with the 16hp kohler for $2900.

Once again thank you and I will take your advise. I have lived long enough to know that good advise out weighs your want to do's by far in the long run.

Thanks,

Steve

8. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

When you look at mowers..and this is somehting noone mentioned is the time involved with cutting with a tractor. you cannot stripe for one thing and turning takes forever(unless you do the circle rutine) you can cut a lawn in half the time with a ztr walk behind or rider than you can with a tractor...

Something to ponder on

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at lesco walkbehinds,they're about the least expensive.;)

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a firm believer in comm'l equipment. Doesn't have to be the most expensive, but don't pay for things twice.