Advise on priceing a job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leeslawncare, May 20, 2001.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

OK here is what i have::6 dwarf alberta spruce trees 6 hollys both 3 gallon.70 ft of metal edgeing an 1 yard of mulch.i have 425.00 in materials .what would some of you guys charge for labor?look forward to you advise.:blob3: :blob2:

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

is this in a exsiting shrub bed?

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

.... it's not an existing shrub bed, I would just double my price for materials, that usually works out well for me.
    If it IS an existing shrub bed and you have to rip some stuff out, just charge your hourly rate for the cleanup and then your price for the install.
    My 2ยข

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

same system here. about $40 each for the shrubbery=$480. add the price of the edging, then add labor rate to install($40 an hour) then 1 yd of mulch@ $65. then it depends on how much prep for the beds. and....always remember to check the soil to see if u can get a shovel into it. i got really killed on a job once cus it took four days to dig, rather than the 8 hrs i figured, couldnt get a shovel into the ground, had to use picks( and actually broke 2 of them)

5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

What you're planting in is a lesson I learned agoin this past week. took my 2 guys 3 hours to dig up 80sqft (SOLID surface roots). You could almost hear the tree laughing as the pick bounced off the roots.
    Damn, was I sore that nite.

6. leeslawncare

it is a new bed with soft soil no roots

7. kris

from nowhere

Try to figure how long it will take you and charge your hourly rate plus materials ..Before you say "heck I can plant 6 shrubs,edging,mulch, in a couple of hours" remember your load up time,travel and cleanup time. We never used to do small jobs( had a $3,000 min) until we started the maintenance division 2 years ago..now that crew does small jobs...last Saturday we had one 2in caliper tree to plant 15 minutes from the shop..I went out and did it myself with a helper , so I would know there was not any fooling around,,, I wanted accurate time on planting one tree to use for future referance...here is how it went..730 AM started to load the truck..bobcat to put on a 1/4 bucket soil and load the tree on the trailer..gathered up the tree cart...2 tree stakes,wire etc..got to the job site...unloaded the tree and wheeled it about 70 ft to where the tree was going, dug the tree hole(by hand,hard clay)wheelbarrowed out the old clay onto the trailer..planted the tree...quick cup of coffee with the customer..staked ,waterered .cleaned up etc...back to the shop...cleaned the mess off the trailer...It was 10AM ...took 2 men 2.5hours to plant that tree..TOTAL 5 MAN HOURS.This confirmed what I already knew...It takes alot longer than someone might think..Keep good records for the future...good luck and let us know how you made out.

8. leeslawncare

well guys i'am gonna charge them 900.00.just wanted to hear some of you guys prices.Thanks

9. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Good advice Kris.

10. kris

from nowhere

leeslawncare...sounds right in line... nice little job