advise on returning equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captaingreen, Dec 6, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I recently purchased a $1000 snow plow from Canada to attach to my Tiger Cub, well they had to specially fabricate a mount to make the plow work for my mower. I excitedly open up the plow when it arrives only to find the mount won't work for my mower. I call the company, they are very sorry, had a different model of Tiger cub they made the component for (they don't have easy access to Scag mowers in their part of Canada) offer to refund my money and pay shipping and handling back to Canada, however I still have to pay the $157.00 it took to get the product down here. My question is since I'm not at fault here should I still be expected to pay the S&H down here, or am I just being unrealistic.

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Take the $157 and find a welder that will make it work for your mower.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The product they delivered did not function as advertised. You purchased a working, or what was supposed to be a working piece of equipment. I would tell them as soon as they deliver that piece of working equipment, you would be happy to pay whatever charges apply. If you charged it on a Visa or AMEX I would contest any charges applied to the card.

You should not have to pay a dime until the product works as represented.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Better yet, tell them they can save the $157 to have it shipped back to them to pay for a welder to fix it. Plus, they still made the sale.

5. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

Walker has the best idea but you have to do what you thinks best ...a difficult learning situation ...

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with walket too.

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Did you specify the model you were buying it for?

8. captaingreen

Would require major modification to their mount as well as another component, as well as possibly modifying my Tiger Cub. We actually discussed that route over the phone, great idea just not practically feasible for the money.

9. captaingreen

Yes. I was very clear on every occasion we spoke ( it took a while for them to fabriacte the part, including flying a tech. to another part of Canada). The problem was once the tech. got out to the location they discovered it was an older Tiger Cub, not a '03 like mine. Scag moved the left front caster in a few inches to add stability on hills, this is the whole reason why the bracket will not fit like it is supposed to.

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

If they discovered that it wasn't the same model then they shouldn't have built it to fit the wrong one. Did they tell you this before shipping it or when you told them it didn't fit?