1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advise on walk behind please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 5, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

wondering if anyone else here was using or have used a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer w/17 hp kaw. v twin. And if so how does it mow through taller wet grass? Last year we used a 48" Viking w/14hp kaw. (older engine but running good) and it clogged up all of the time any suggestions?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you haven't already bought this mower, I would strongly suggest a larger engine option.
    A 17hp on that size deck, pulling you on a proslide (or any sulky really) will leave you wanting more power, especially when on taller, wetter spring growth.

I have a 52" hydro snapper with a 16hp engine and it's fine when walking behind it on normal growth, dry grass. But in wet, taller grass, it slows down, and if I throw the sulky on, it really slows down.

Good luck.
  3. nobagger

from Pa

Thanks gogetter but I think its too late, I just got a call from my dealer and he said your mower is in. He says its plenty of power but hes a salesman. I'm hoping that because it is a floating deck it will be a little eaisier to mow in taller grass (just raise the deck alot quicker than our fixed deck). Originally we had talked about a 19hp for this mower but it was $400.00 more and thats not in our budget right now.
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have the exact same mower you got, but mine is 2001. I have mowed through wet ( Hurricane season ) last year and the grass has grown like crazy. You won't have problem much IF you have your blades sharp at all times (weekly sharpening is required). Also when you mow, don't go full swath or deck, but give some room to breathe on the thick area grass. People give you bull, when they said their mower can go through thick and dense tall grass like 8-9 mph without hesitation. It won't happen on St Augustine down here. I always focus on neat and clean off clipping appearance that is why I don't go full swath.
    Excelllent machine by the way, 19 hp would be nicer but you have to do what you got.
  5. nobagger

from Pa

Thanks MTR I'm hoping it will be better than my 48"
  6. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I think you will wish you had the 19 or more. Plus the 19 has the better air filter option. Jmtc

littlenic :rolleyes:
  7. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

you shouldnt have any problems with that unit, I demoed one last year in a drizzle for about two hours and I was running at full boar and it did fine. People on this site are always worried about getting bigger motors, well they need to stick a 350 on their mower and maybe they wont complain anymore.
  8. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

I would be happy with the mower that Randy Quaid used in the movie Moving (1988) :)

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I put a Ford 302 on my 36" bobcat. works pretty good. :D

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

you should have no probelms with that mower . i have the same one and it is 5 years old and stills cuts like new. if the grass is that wet you shouldnt even be out cutting .