Advise on Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, May 21, 2002.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Hi I bought a used 36" belt drive gravely last fall and I have been quite happy with the cut. I also bought a pro-slide a month ago but the gravely belts are slipping constantly when I turn or try to go on a slight slope. I am considering buying either the new 32" Exmark hydro or a 36" Ferris hydro. I havn't checked the price on the Exmark yet but the Ferrris is $5200 Canadian. I wonder if I will regret buying the Exmark because of losing the 4 inches of cut? I will buy new belts for the Gravely and see if that helps but if any of you have advise on what machine is better for me I would appreciate it. I do 20 quarter acre lots around 30 regular sized residentials that I can get my 36" into most of them and 3 commercial that are around 8 acres in total.

Thanks Marty:confused: I will miss the advise of Eric Elm.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure your belt tension on the wheels and trany are tight. Belts stretch fast when using something like a Pro slide. Also try some belt dressing on the drive belts.

Other wise I would do what mike said.

4. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I don't think I could afford the viking 36" It is more expensive than a ferris 36" here in Canada.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

trust me, the exmark is worth every penny. you'll make it back in no time, especially with a hydro.

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Marty,

you mentioned that you have several large yards and several 1/4 acre lots. do all these yards have fences that require a 36" mower? if not, Keep the belt drive 36" and get a HYDRO 52". a Hydro 36 to me is a waste of money when you can spend 2k on a 36" belt drive metro instead of 5k for a hydro. on a larger deck then i would suggest a hydro. If it was me i would get an Exmark Turf Tracer HP 52" hydro and attach the pro slide on it and keep the 36" without a sulkey for the smaller gate access back yards.

I currently run a 48" belt drive with jungle wheels attached. when i get a 36" metro i will not attach a sulkey due to the small amount of use.

Sorry to get long winded but the 36" hydro thing is just my opinion.

Scot