ADVISORY: Florida Palm Tree Blight...

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by jvanvliet, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

3. What he said

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya, i seen it on tampa news today, and remember hearing about it before. i am not sure, but i think one of my clients had that happen to a sable palm earlier this year...all fronds turned brown and fell off and he had it cut down.

5. jvanvliet

First I heard of it... I'll try and stay on top of things.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I was just talking to a friend today about it, he has some 50 trees to treat this week and said 3 injections are needed per palm for treatment.

Its bad in my area, one development is losing trees at an alarming rate and they continue to go untreated. Guess the guys that maintain figure the trees lack in Mg. little do they know what thy're really dealing with.

7. jvanvliet

They need oxytetracycline, an antibiotic. The stuff is expensive. If you can get it, it'll be good money in your pocket and still cheaper than replacing a mature Date Palm.

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

one of the preventions is to treat the turf areas around where the palms are, they find the hoppers rest in these areas.

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

SFL, texas decline has not been found this far south yet. I have been hearing about it for about 5 years now but nothing so far. Lots of fusarium decline on queens though

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. jvanvliet

Ganoderma sulcatum is epidemic in my neck of the woods (Palm Beach County). The Queens die, hackers come, cut them down breaking open the conks and spreading the spores to neighboring trees. One community has had a 30% loss and more to come. No known cure I'm aware of other than an application of copper sulfate prophylactically.