Aerate again in Fall??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SKIQUATTRO, May 20, 2008.

1. SKIQUATTRO

SKIQUATTRO LawnSite Member

I Aerated for the 1st time ever about a month ago, applied a new growth fert and seed....except for a few patchs, the lawn is looking great..I'll be applying fertilizer in another week....i have 2 kids that play in the yard all summer (soil gets compacted) and the sun beats on it....should i aerate again and overseed in the fall?? I'm on Long Island, NY...do not have an inground sprinkler system...

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I would do it again in the fall

3. rachael24

rachael24 LawnSite Member

Wouldnt hurt!

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

When turf is used alot i.e. golf courses for instance they aerate a bunch. Even little feet can compact the top layer pretty quick. So to answer your question fall and spring for your lawn would be a good idea. Also a late fall fertilizer application after you aerate and put out seed is a good plan. The soil moves all winter and will have the fert in the root area come spring. I do that here in Nebraska and it jump starts my lawn in the spring.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

personally, we do it in the fall if you do it in the spring you are going to allow more crabgrass to come up and weeds in general. We apply pre-m(yes we are liscened) in spring and work on the weeds for the year then after the summer damage we do our renavation work, thatch,slicer seed and aerate add some water and you have sod like quality. When you areate you should be doing it 2 times each in a differnt direction one pass does abvout 7% of the lawn 2xs is about 15%. Then next year try to wait until the fall again . when you do it in the fall try to water the groung for 2 days before or wait untill we get some good rain then do it you will get better and deeper plugs

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

go for it...

7. SKIQUATTRO

SKIQUATTRO LawnSite Member

thanks...by the time i thought of aerating it was too late and i missed the fall aeration, so i figured the spring was better than nothing...I'll do the fall this season, then just wait till the following fall...after you aerate and waiting for the plus to dry, would it be advisable to throw down some top soil, fert, seed then rake it all in???

8. ponyboy

from ny

we do not top dress you can, what type of soil do you have and do you know your ph?

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

If I top dress I use compost and not loam or topsoil unless I have some laying around

10. ponyboy

from ny

even sand it all depends on what type of soil you have, one of the biggest pronlem i see is customers ph is off measuer the level and lime it kinda like a multi vitiam for your body and next year when your ph is normal all your chemical app will work better then that will help keep your grass roots under less stress and keeping your lawn looking better