Aerate and seed in spring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 5, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Does anybody have any thoughts about aerating and overseeding the spring? I am thinking about de-thatchin, aerating and overseeding some of my lawns in the spring. Any comments?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

SOME people claim grass seed planted in the spring will not grow and you should follow what some book says. I have never had a problem seeding in the spring, and several lawns I dethatched/power raked and overseeded this past spring are still going strong and look great. Including my next door neighbor. I would not shy away from it. Unless you don't want to be considered as 'rabble' and as long as you can live with taking money from your customers.

:rolleyes:

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on your location, what you are planting, how early in the spring it is done, follow up care and rather or not the lawn is irrigated.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I aerate, overseed etc in the spring and the fall. Sure you will have some newly planted spring grass to die in the hot summer months but you still get good results.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

With the recent drought conditions here spring seeding isn't a bad idea.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring aeration and seeding has always been great for me. Time it for the soil to be at 50 degrees or more and you should be fine. Water it everyday for 4-6 weeks and it will be awesome, and make sure you do not cut it for between 4-6 weeks to allow it to gain some roots. I use Tri-Gold Tall Fescue from Lesco.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

NO, spring is a bad idea if....

If you are seeding in spring you better make sure you have a hold on weeds like crabgrass. IMHO here, unless you are seeding warm season grasses you are wasting your time and the customers money.

Cool season grass do not have time to develop a root system large enough to survive summer, it then dies from the heat and drought being unable to access and absorb enough water to survive. Add to that you have to either delay or totally miss your pre-emergent applications, it makes the lawn not only subject to failure from heat and drought, but you have now left it wide open to weeds.

I have done a few new lawns in the spring, all came out looking like **** by summers end. Spring is the best time unless it's a warm season grass.

Do it if you must, but I don't suggest it.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I would seed in the spring only If there is underground sprinklers and the customer is ocmmited to watering and watering and watering. The grass is going to need a lot of water to make it through the summer. but it can be done. Also make sure noone puts pre emergent on the lawn. YOu will end up with some crab grass, but you can get that with Drive later.
    I did some spot overseeding last spring and it's doeng fine. For whole lawn overseeding I waited till this fall.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Though it is not recommended, I did a new lawn install in the spring. The lawn was my personal lawn and it cam in great. I do not have irrigation, but kept the water to it. I seen a guy down the street install a new lawn in the middle of summer. The weather was above 95 degrees. He did have a sprinkler system. His lawn came in great and still looks great. Goes to show what is not recommended can still be possible

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

All true, but if it's bone dry in the Fall, customer doesn't have an irrigation system and will probably not water with sprinklers anyway, Spring is a better choice. Not a good one, but better than sure failure in a drought. We had one day of rain in September. And today it "MIGHT" rain, but then nothing on the horizon for another week. At least in the Spring it rains like hell.

Actually I recall a preemergent called Siduron that is claimed to work on crabgrass while allowing seeding.