1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerate and top dress

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by zwillinge, Mar 20, 2006.

1. zwillinge

zwillinge LawnSite Member

how often should i aerate and topdress my lawn? i aerated in september and topdressed in november. my lawn looks pretty good compared to the surounding ones. i just don't want to overdo it. thanks.
  2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

its difficult to overdo, depending on the area you live in. In our area , we have primarily clay, so we aerate 1-2 times per year, topdressing at the same time we aerate, with organic compost, and applying calcium sulfate(gypsum at the rate of 40 lbs per 1000 sq feet. It depends on good your soil is that warrants how much youshould aerate and topdress
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

will you really need a response from someone in your area. the turf book i have says evry 3 to 5 years. depending on what type of soil you have and how compact would give you the answer. too much aeration at the same depth in some area will cause whats called a hard pan. a hard pan is when all the smaller particles settle at the bottom of the holes.
  4. zwillinge

zwillinge LawnSite Member

i am in austin texas and we have clay and not too much of it either. lots of lime rock all under my lawn.