aerate in july?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Apr 6, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just making sure

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

what chew talkin' 'bout willis?

Spring and fall are porbably best, but since everyone on the east coast has a sprinkler system, the summer aeration should also be beneficial, but I would stick to spring/fall.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It certainly won't do as much good as during the cooler months when root growth is at a more active level, but any time the soil is aerated, or loosened by any means, the lawn will get more nutrition and be healthier.

Would I aerate in July?
    NO.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Thats bs....why wouldn't it be beneficial earlier and later in the year?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have NO idea where they were coming from with this one. Out of all the text I've read and studied, and all the experienced people in the industry I have consulted with, I have learned that if it is only going to be done once per season, then early fall is the best time. I must say, that spring is a great time, also. I can also add that if it is aerated once a month, it's not going to hurt. However, as was brought up by dvmcmrhp52, if it's done in the heat, when the grass is dormant, then no immediate benefit will be taken. This WILL help it take in water when it finally IS watered, though. This is especially beneficial on slpoe areas where after the ground hardens up, there is more runoff than absorbtion.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Aerating in July and August will do about as much good as doing it in January and February IMO.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

With our clay surface, the yards are like cement by mid summer so I would definitly not do it then

8. G&MLC

G&MLC LawnSite Member

Probably not many warm-season grass lawns in NJ?? That's all that would benefit from aerating in July, if like has been said, the ground is not hard as a rock.