Aerate in Spring or Fall or ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreaterMilwLawnscape, Aug 20, 2002.

1. GreaterMilwLawnscape

GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member

Hey can you help me out a little and tell me why and when it is the best to aerate?? THANKS:dizzy:

2. Both would be ideal but hard to get them to pay for that.

Fall is better if you are going to seed.

There is a lot of info on this one, research it.

There is also alot of mixed feeelings on which is better.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Main rule of thumb, when the grass is actively growing. Cool season grasses normally spring and fall. Warm season grasses during the summer months.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, i got a good question while we are on this topic. due to the hot summer we have had, and such a dry summer, would aerating in september or around there be worth it? obviously wont be doing any seeding do to the drought, but can we stress JUST aerating to customers even though the lawns are dorment? do you guys see what im trying to say, im having trouble describing it.
    thanks
    Scottie

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't start getting rain and there is a water restriction you probably shouldn't aerate. The stress could damage things more. My opinion anyway.

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

aerate in the early fall

dethatch in the early spring

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yes aeration will stress the already drought stressed turf...but...it will also give it what it needs at the roots...access to air and mositure. Like said above, there are different points of view on this. If we can get a 'little' rain and get out of the 90's with cool nights, I plan on doing it. I'm going to first do my own and relatives properties first to see if/how they recover.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Do It Like Phishook Said.
    They Say Aeration In Fall Is Best theres No weed seeds To Deal with Or Less weed seeds.

And early Dethaching In early Spring Theres No green grass To hurt.

9. Fall 1st choice-spring 2nd
    Still more people thinking about lawn in the spring so more gets done then
    Some do 2X

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on many factors but compaction and soil type is a pretty good one. Up here around Green Bay we have terribly hard clay and it most lawns really need aeration in the spring and the fall. But there are some properties that I have that have good topsoil and in those cases aeration is performed only once if indicated.

Now toward the middle of the state there is a lot of sandy soil and it does not compact anywhere near what I have.

So the answer to your question is that it depends. I do both times. You can seed in the spring or the fall but you have to keep in mind the chemical applications that have to be done during these times. I have had equal success seeding in the spring and in the fall around here. Good Luck.